Author Topic: Shhh...Be Vewy vewy quite...I'm hunting wabbits  (Read 3507 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Shhh...Be Vewy vewy quite...I'm hunting wabbits
« on: September 22, 2011, 01:02:03 am »
So the past week I've been practicing a lot with my Daisy 880 .177 caliber air rifle I got at wal mart this past summer.  I've gotten pretty good with the iron sights and regular BBs.  So I installed the cheap scope that came with it and started sighting it in with Crosman magnum round nose pellets that weigh 10.5 grains.

WOW I was surprised that after sighting it in at 20 yards I was getting 1 inch groups.  Not bad at all.  And these heavy pellets really have a lot more energy to them than the bbs.  I was shooting into a board of wood and the bbs only embed on the surface of the wood at 30 yards.  These pellets were getting about an inch penetration.  A lot more than I thought as I was thinking these lead pellets were going to just expand and mushroom into the wood.  But none of that happened.  They retained most their shape.

Well today I had a few minutes before physics class and I spotted a rabbit in the garden about 30-35 yards away.  I've been trying to get rid of these buggers cuz they eat all our vegetables and they LOVE our flowers.  Our barn cats keep most of them away but they only come out at night.  I took a deep breath and scoped the rabbit out for a minute...it wasn't moving.  Perfect broadside shot.

I steadied my aim and placed the cross hairs a few inches over its back and pulled the trigger...HIT!!  The pellet fell right into its spine taking out its back legs.  It crawled a few feet and stopped.  I loaded up another pellet and pumped the rifle up.  Tried to steady my breath for the next shot.  This time I aimed right above its head and pulled the trigger.  The rabbit fell over and flopped around for about 5 seconds and died.  Lung shot finished him off.

I would have tried with my bow but I'm not confident at that range...didn't want to injure him and have him run off.

Gave him to my cats...they usually eat EVERYTHING but the fur.  I've found piles of rabbits fur in the barn, numerous squirrel skulls, and feathers from the cats hunting.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Offline Rick Wallace

Re: Shhh...Be Vewy vewy quite...I'm hunting wabbits
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:15:26 am »
Why didnt you eat it??   :-\
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:38:04 am »
Believe the cats would have to get their own.

Lane

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:04:40 am »
I like my cats

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:31:18 am »
 I'd of had to throw a cat in the pot, too, so there was enough to go around. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:20:37 pm »
I've often wondered what cat tastes like.  From the movie "The Book of Eli" he makes "cat oil".  Might be good for sealing a bow lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 03:42:38 pm »
My dad would have cooked me if I had killed something "edible" and didnt eat it! Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 04:12:55 pm »
And you coulda' had a string out of that hide...  :o

Such is life.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:28:13 pm »
You could have made tamales from it ::) ::) ::)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 07:45:47 pm »
 It taste like rabit, except sweeter,,, so,, I've been told ::) :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 07:49:55 pm »
I've been wondering how I was gonna get some cat gut...bbq anyone?  >:D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 09:07:22 pm »
Eddie tamales don't taste like rabbit.. They taste like shicken 8)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:26 pm »
 In Germany they used to have to keep a foot on the rabbit in the meat market so to prove it wasn't a cat.  I guess they look similar when skinned.  If you ever look at any of the A.R. Harding, furfishgame, books, they talk about cat being a fur bearer and how to select it, care for and tan it.  Cat, not bob cat or courgar, but house cat.  This was in the early 1900's. 

Like I said earlier, BBQ anyone?  ???
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 01:06:06 pm »
....and that's why you don't buy a "pig in a poke" (sack) It might have been a cat instead.

Check for spots on the liver of your next rabbit, (Tularemia) and if he's clean, eat him up!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA