Author Topic: "Perfect" damascus steel broadhead for boo/cane arrows?  (Read 31125 times)

Offline half eye

Re: "Perfect" damascus steel broadhead for boo/cane arrows?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 12:35:19 am »
Mark,
      Have you given any thought to the "splitting" effect of the tang inside the cane shaft? Even when tightly bound (hafted) the cane can still split upon impact. A small washer arrangement that matched up to the head and allowed for a even contact around the perimeter of hollow tube could go along way to stopping that condition (much like the doubleheaded nail target points do. A basic "standard weight" (say 125 grains) could be increased by different thickness washers or more than one starndard washer. It's just a thought.
rich

Offline markinengland

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 10:52:57 am »
Rich,
Yes, that is a consideration. From what I have seen the shafts of most boo/cane arrows with tanged heads were bound just behind the head. This would provide resistance to splitting. That so many old bronze and steel arrowheads had tangs, especially in the east where bamboo was used for arrows suggests they worked OK.
Essentially, if a trade point can fit into a slot in a wooden shaft without splitting, a tang can as well.
There appear to be two slightly different types of tanged heads used in the past. Some had a collar that seats against the end of the shaft, some are simple flatter shapes.
Forging a head with a thicker seat to provide the collar would add weight to the head. Not a problem with war arrows but might be heavy for hunting? These are also more expensive as they are more complex to make. I'd like to get that type eventually, but I've got to start somewhere.
The simple tanged head has a small flat to seat against the end of the shaft or within a short slot. It would rely on a good fit and bond to the inside of the shaft and binding on the outside of the shaft. Use of a modern epoxy gue in the shaft and thread or sinew on the outside should work.
In my youth I used to make up heads from nails, with simple forged flats for the actual head. I made them a tight fit into the shaft, bound the end of the shaft and then force fitted them in. Any impact then just forced them tighter, the binding stopping any splitting.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 04:59:00 pm »
At long long last I have my Damascus steel hunting broadheads.

They look pretty nice so I thought I'd share (if I can remember how to post pictures!)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:45 pm »
Very nice looking head, Mark. Do you know the physical weight?   Will you flip that ruler over so we can see how big it is in inches?  ::)   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 10:51:18 pm »
Pat 60 mm would be 2.36 inches.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 12:53:22 am »
     Sheesh, Pat didn't you go to school?! ::) ;D ;D
   Ok, ok, they didn't teach it when I was in school either.  Well not until I was almost out, and I didn't consider it worthwhile, since the "Kings" version of measurement, or SAE, was quite sufficient for me, and my rather handicapped mathimatical skill level. ;) ;D
     Beautiful Arrow head! 8)  You need to save up your Euros, and get him to forge you a knife blade, and a Hawk head! ;) Bowtarist, Marttiini of Finland makes unbelievably sharp knives, and they will litterally shave you right out of the box.  they are very light, and make fantastic hunting knives.  I have a bunch of them, and give them as gifts. 
I think the layered blade you are thinking of is Mora, of Sweden.  they have both solid blades, and layered blades.  They are also fantastic knives, and will take quite a beating, and make great utility knives as well as hunting knives, and survival knives, and will also take on a litterally razor sharp edge.  I have some of them also, as well as a few blade blanks.  Sorry to add this to the same reply, but it does save time and space. ;)  Again, Mark that is a beautiful Arrowhead! :o

Wayne

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 02:25:32 am »
I haven't read the whole thread.  What is the circular one for?  Those are lovely.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 02:30:52 am »
Wayne, when I went to school the abacus was in vogue. I do know that there are about 39" in a meter.  ;D
Thanks Cipriano. That puts it into perspective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 03:05:29 am »
Wow,  :o wow!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 03:38:16 am »

Pat, we had an abacus in school, but that was grade school, and I couldn't pronounce it, so I left it alone, and stayed with my fingers and toes, since I could do fractions, because of the fact that half of my right big toe got ate by a bicycle sprocket and chain, when I was 3 years old.  Just unlatched it, slicker than snot on a door knob! ;)  Of course the Abacus is actually quite a useful bit of engineering, and the Chinese used to have annual contests with it, competing with hand held calculators, and the masters of it won more than lost.  Been around quite awhile.  But I doubt the metric system will stick. .........  ::)  But the military has been using it for quite some time.  But then again they also thought Billy Mitchell was nuts. ;)

Wayne

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 10:52:59 am »
Anytime Pat ;)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Loki

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 04:47:09 pm »
I haven't read the whole thread.  What is the circular one for?  Those are lovely.

It's an old medieval style hunting head for Birds and small game  (type 6 forker) the idea is the points dont penetrate the flesh too much,the force of the strike is enough to knock the bird of his perch for retreival.
Durham,England

Offline Dazv

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 06:40:48 pm »
oh my mark that is one amazing looking head i loce the slight curve to the edge.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 01:29:02 pm »
Excellent work, Wow!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 12:46:15 am »
I like those, Mark. How much do they weigh?
Pat, type in "60 mm in inches" on your Google search. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?