Author Topic: Hickory Recurve (and progress pics)  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Recurve question (and progress pics)
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 06:02:25 pm »
Thanks for the tips Chris.  Yup, I saw the stiff left limb and it should be already corrected now.  I have the tips back in the jig and re-bent so we'll see how that works out.  Not real crazy about gluing up Osage as an underlay (not the "color" combo I was looking for) but it may be the smartest choice for strength I guess.

The thickness of the apex for each tip is as follows:

Left = .495

right = .483

Odd huh, the thicker limb is the one that has the recurve pulling out too...head scratcher for sure unless when I toasted the belly I somehow toasted everywhere else more than that area??

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 06:32:09 pm »
I dont think ya have to use osage on the tips, just prebend whatever wood that you think will work before glue up, like a lam bow the glue along with prebending  should hold the recurves, 'course that's just my opinion, Bub

ya might have noticed but I like walnut with hickory :D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 07:02:08 pm »
That's true Bubby...walnut would look pretty nice.  I'll let the cat out of the bag on this build...I am backing it with Cherry Bark so I want to use wood, dye and leather that will accent and highlight the bark backing.  Hmm, purple heart might look kind nice too, maybe I need to get online and do some shopping  ::)
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 08:49:14 pm »
When you toasted the belly of the limbs did you get to close to the curves? If so that could make the curves pull out some. If you toast the curves they need to be on the form. So if you toasted your curves without them being on the jig then it prob took some curve out.

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 06:22:49 am »
Remember set isn't deflex! :o
If you actually induce the deflex with heat the bow (all things being equal) it could draw further or be less strained at the same draw-length. Once wood has taken set the damage has been done - the wood has lost some of it's spring and you can't get it back....
If I was you I would give the whole bow a good heat treating then work it some more. Re-heat treat work it some more, re-heat treat work it a few more inches of draw....repeat until you reach draw length. This process will help to minimise any set and allows you to get to full draw with nice springy wood! It may even keep some reflex in the limbs if your careful.It's a pain having to wait after each heat treating but it works.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 01:23:16 pm »
Thanks for that info Mike...I may do just that, have to wait for the Titebond III to dry on those Osage underlays now anyway so I might as well take advantage of the down time.  Can't wait to get this puppy spitting arrows!

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 01:44:55 pm »
Can't wait to get this puppy spitting arrows!

Yeah....me too!!!  8)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 02:32:59 pm »
Where are all the progress pics of your build Chris?   8)
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:14 pm »
Its called "wait for it"  ....lol.  im not confident enough I can get this one going. Its on the borderline of being unstable and I don't wanna embarrass myself.  8)

But if you insist........hmmmmm ::)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:32 pm »
Hey, this one is borderline stable and WAY outside my comfort zone so if I can do you sure as heck can  >:D

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Hickory Recurve (and progress pics)
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 10:13:06 pm »
Well, bored while waiting for the bow to rehydrate so I thought I'd snap a few pics.  Here is my progress on adding some Osage underlays to help keep the recurves from pulling out.  Went pretty well...  Also a few pics of the toasted belly.

Thanks~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:54 pm »
I LIKE it   ;)  told ya they'd look good.  :P

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 10:35:21 am »
Looks nice Lee!  George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 10:41:29 am »
Looks nice Lee!  George

Thanks bud...it has been pretty simple compared to your recent Saturday bow, this one was straight to start with  ;D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 11:15:51 am »
LOL, you just have access to better wood.  Don't tell anybody, but there's a nice straight hickory stave curing in my shop now.  Sadly it is NOT knot-free.  Back to your bow.  I may copy this design, I really like the lines.  Keep the pictures coming.

George
St Paul, TX