Author Topic: sideways bending  (Read 1675 times)

Offline rkeltner

sideways bending
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:12:43 pm »
i have a piece of black locust that i've been fiddling with for about 2 years that is giving some fits. it is 's' profiled, which isn't a problem, but the string doesn't cross the center line. i have tried extensive heating to get it to move sideways, but it won't shift. any suggestions? for the record, it is in the very early stages of tillering. my goal is a 70 to 80 pound draw.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: sideways bending
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:02 am »
That never bothered me. I try to shoot it on the "center shot" side.  But often the string slaps my wrist. I flip the limbs around and bow shoots great. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:17:42 am »
I agree with George.   Have you braced the bow yet? You won't know how the string tracks for sure until you get to low brace. Start tillering the bow to get the limbs bending evenly and together. This will do two things...1) reduce the amount of wood you'll have to heat if straightening is necessary...and 2) be able to low brace the bow so you can see how the string tracks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:05:34 am »
i've been thinking about finishing the tiller and trying again, but it just annoys me that i can't get it to do anything. the string is one to two inches off center, by the way.  i guess i'll go to work on the tiller now!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:40:24 am »
I thought you were further along in the process but if the string is that far off center you may have to heat correct. I usually do that after floor tillering, as Pat mentioned, in order to reduce the limbs but I don't brace it first but listen to Pat. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »
i hadn't looked at this stave for a while so when in thwe garage today i picked it upm an put a tillerring string on it and to my suprise, it's ready for the tree! looks like it may settle in with tillering' with a slightly to the left of center tiller. i've never done anything but centerline tiller, so this is a departure for me. i guess you could call this a pass by handle instead of a pass through!