Author Topic: New bow finished.  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

New bow finished.
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:27:25 am »
Hi guys,

I just finished this.  It's walnut, Hickory, Bamboo and Maple.  Antler tip overlays.  I use mainly hand tools and harvest much of my own wood for carving purposes.  the walnut was a road side log.  After resawing and using a jointers plane to true up the riser wood a small crack developed.  I normaly fix these with thin super glue and a little sanding.  Since I didn't have any structural flaws with it I went all out and added the antler tip overlay and rest extension.  I fixed the crack with some crushed turquoise.  I use this in my turned bowls allot and it's popular.  the bow is 45# at 28".  70" tip to tip.  I realy like this bow.  I'm getting dinner plate groupings at 20yds pretty much righ off the bench.  Something a simple flat longbow just gets me.  I love em.  This was a pleasure to make and my Daughter and I love to shoot it.

Working on a bamboo backed Eucalyptus now.  Pics coming.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: New bow finished.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:47:21 am »
At some point I'd be interested in trading something similar to this for some nice napped work.  Say a knife and or a few show heads.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:19:12 am »
look's good but we need a full draw, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:29:46 am »
Oh yea.  I'll get one up.  It's late and the ladies are asleep.  I could get my eye blacked at least for waking them over a pic of a bow.  Or your full draw pic would be follwed by a pic of me swallowing the bow sideways.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:34:22 am »
i know what ya mean, i usually use a trypod and the timer, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:43:58 am »
Now that just makes way too much sense.  :P

The bow, and room with the best lighting is just outside the bedroom door.  I'll be clobbered.  Not risking it.  Tomorrow.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:33:12 pm »
Very nice!  So is that Kick backed with boo (rind removed) as the core?  Looks fast~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »
Lee,

Yea it basicaly a Tri-Lam.  Starting with the back and going to the riser it is Hickory, dark Bamboo, Maple, walnut.  I added a bit of walnut at the grip area on the back to make sure there was now bend in the area where the sight window was cut since my fades are so short.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 01:09:46 pm »
Thanks, looks great.  Never done more than a 2 lam build...looks like another build to add to my growing list of "bows to try"
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18:07 pm »
That looks like it oughta do the trick. Now I be waiting on that full draw pic. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?