Author Topic: Practice Oak board bow done  (Read 3565 times)

Offline frankg

Practice Oak board bow done
« on: August 12, 2011, 02:32:36 pm »
I just finished up a practice piece oak board bow I cut out of a $6 3/4"x1.5"x72" board from Home Depot. It had a pinkish tone when bought , Red Oak  possibly ? I put a 3/4" x 1.5" x 6" walnut grip on handle and linen backing on . Fiebing Light Brown leather dye and Tung Oil finish. 38# at 28" , I was wanting 40# , oh well :) I think the upper(rt.)limb , I got just a bit weak .
Anyway here it is :)

South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Practice Oak board bow done
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:47:39 pm »
Even that tiller out before it breaks or chrysals. You may as well have a well tillered underweight bow versus a poor tiller and heavier draw weight.  And you may want to wrap that handle in cord and glue. Without any fades your handle will just pop off sooner than later.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 03:15:33 pm »
Ditto
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline frankg

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:47:17 pm »
Thanks guys ! Thats what Im after! Input to help progress :)

Offline frankg

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:36:49 pm »
Ok............I went out and whittled on lower limb and got it evened out (I think ?) What you all think ?
Im going to wrap handle with some Irish Linen stitching cord now and Titebond III.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:30:52 pm »
I'd smooth that fade transition from the glued on handle too...looks like it will eventually pop off

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:56:37 pm »
The need to lighten up the entire limb on the left side of the pics.  You've got the entire bow working and that is great.  Leave the one limb alone, but cut down the other.

If you're draw weight ends up too light, sand the linen off and back the board with a 1/8" strip of hickory.  That's a good way to add 8~12lbs.

I would just take the walnut handle off and wrap it with cord or something.  All of my "glue on handle" red oak bows just popped them off unless I pinned it, but I don't trust red oak enough to pin.

Lastly, get rid of the sewing grid.  Having a grid only helps if the WHOLE bow fits on it.  Without that, it's a distraction.  If you got a place you can hand it, get a sheet of peg board...only like $8 at Home Depot.  Makes an EXCELLENT grid.  When I get my garage in order I'm going to hand a sheet of drywall up and stencil my grid on that.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline frankg

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:43:04 pm »
Ok........handle is gone and shaved more off bottem (left) limb. This is @26" on stick. 35# @ 29" now . Which is fine , next one from board Ill cut a little different and thicker with less taper on belly from handle to tip. Inexpensive practice from $6 boards , may even try a maple board. Had some clean boards with good grain !

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:27:57 am »
Right side is still a bit stiff toward the grip, but it's pretty fair for a $6 bow.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline frankg

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:49:08 am »
Think Ill call it close nuff , wrap handle and see what I can do with the chokecherry crookedy one I started on :)

Thanks for your input !! It helps me learn this :)
Frank

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:45:33 pm »
I actually really like that tiller...just enough bend near the fades...but not enough to take a set.  should be a sweet shooter.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 02:11:35 pm »
now you're talking!  tiller looks pretty good now.  If you like a thicker handle feel, you can glue on layers of leather soaked in super glue and then rasp and sand to the shape you want.  Leather will bend with the bow and not pop off.

Offline frankg

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 03:36:51 pm »
Think thats what Ill do ! Thin the edges of some veg tanned skirting leather and add a couple layers on back and belly for a little more depth before putting leather wrap on .