Author Topic: Rawhide "bandage"???  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Rawhide "bandage"???
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:58:44 am »
Hey everyone.... I have an oak bow that some of the grain appears to be lifting up on the back.... I havn't heard any cracks and there has been no loss of performance but I would still like to put a patch on this area to make sure it stays that way...

So now for my question.... It probably seems like a dumb one but can you patch the back of a bow with a small amount of rawhide with out backing the bow using let's say like a 4" Long strip for a 1" long problem section?  Would you just glue it on and call it good or is it really necessary to back the whole limb... Thanks for any help...

Jon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Rawhide "bandage"???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:20:31 am »
Jon I have never done it but I recently saw a Osage sapling bow that John Strunk made and it has allot of knots and stuff on the back there were two knots that had small cracks developing in the knots so he did just What you described cut a patch of rawhide soaked it in water till plyable then wrapped them with serving. Im not sure if he glued them to the back or not? But to answer your question  yes IMO you could patch the back on the problem area, wrap with serving string and im sure it would hold up fine. I could be wrong but if I am someone will correct me.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:36:35 am »
Use a larger section of raw hide...6" at least.  Then wrap the entire section of rawhide with sinew or thread.

I actually would use a piece of veneer, though, and now hide for such a problem.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:44:38 am »
Sure you can. You can also wrap with thread (dacron, serving thread, art. sinew) set in epoxy, or real sinew set in hide glue. Wrap the other limb too and it will look like a decoration. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:43:58 pm »
Okay guys...

Jawge that's what I was planning to do,  thanks.

Jon