Author Topic: Osage Sapling #3...  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Primitive1

Osage Sapling #3...
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:57:15 am »
62" NtN, bamboo backed sapling with intentional deflex/reflex...I used this bow after glue-up to try some staining techinques on the boo, I planned on thining the boo anyway and am in the process currently.  Left quite a bit of sapwood on this one for width...we'll see where she ends up when I'm done (if successfull).  Again, like Sapling #2, not going for too high of a poundage but would like to get 55#+ if possible at 26/27" draw.  Neat thing about this bow was again, dealing with the pith...this time at the bow tips...the pith was dead center on the upper limb and would not have held significant weight...so, here's some pics to show my response and where I'm at.  Nocks are horn.  Thanks, P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

mikekeswick

Re: Osage Sapling #3...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:48:52 pm »
Cool!
Thats going to be an interesting one to brace for the first time! :o

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:57:30 pm »
I like where your going with this one. Nice profile. Looks like you bent the Osage core to a form by dry heat before glue up..right? Are you leaving the handle area as is or glue on a handle?

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 04:46:36 pm »
Thanks mikekeswick; yup, should be fun...hope she makes it...
blackhawk, yes, dry heat bend and then slightly added Perry reflex on the outer reflex bend during the bamboo glue up.  I plan on leaving the handle area pretty much alone with the exception of a handle wrap (bulbous, leather type)...I also have some horn I may place on the belly depending on how she bends/behaves near the handle...if not enough 'stiff' deflex, I'm putting it on (only a small section, about 18" x 3/4" wide strip or so if need be).
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO