Author Topic: Fire Bow Drill  (Read 6121 times)

Offline BowJunkie

Fire Bow Drill
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:14:21 am »
Muwahahahaahah   >:D I have created fire.
I got bored around the house today, so I decided to take on a lil project.
Made a Bow out of some crape mertyle with some nylon cord.
Had a piece of hackberry from a bow that broke, Made the drill with it.
found some scrap pieces of red oak, from a board bow I am currently building, and made the hearth and hand piece.
This was my first time to ever try making a fire without a Bic or a match.
I have to say this was an experience, It's not as easy as it looks in the videos.   :-[
Once you get the hang of keeping alignment, you can spark up some tinder real quick.  8)
If you read this post and have never tried it,
I urge you to experiment with it before the day comes you regret not practicing.  ;)
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Diligence

Re: Fire Bow Drill
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:21:44 am »
great job on your first time trying!  Some folks never get it mastered!  way to go (and great "Castaway" reference too)
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 03:16:24 am »
Thank you for the compliment Diligence
Johnny
in Texas

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 11:37:36 pm »
Took your advice and put down the bopper and flakers for a bit. I just used some dry shoot shafts, para cord, and a chunk of elk antler for a socket. Once I got the cord tension right, I got enough speed on the cedar board to produce a lot of smoke and a little ember. Didn't have tinder ready, but will next time. Arms are sore and ready to try again.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:33 am »
Modified my setup and found it to be easier using a small square of moose leather in my hand than the antler socket. Going to use this as a demo for my students when we study friction.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:11:16 pm »
very impressed with the wood you used. tough enough to get people to do it with cedar and poplar
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:36:08 am »
I've had a little envy toward those of you who have tried and been successful at this skill. Makes me want to go out and try myself. Maybe I'll get bored someday, too.  ;D
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:10:23 pm »
Congrats...I remember when I started on the "quest for fire."  It was a smoky, frustrating adventure for awhile.  If you've not tried it, I encourage you to try the Egyptian bow drill.  The only real difference between a traditional bow drill and the Egyptian variety is the way the string is attached to the drill.  It makes things SO much easier and more efficient, an allows you to use just about any stick (including dead straight) for the bow.  Here's a link:

http://www.primitiveways.com/e-fire.html

Also, here's a little kit I put together...it's a take-down mini bow drill kit that fits in a pocket tin.  Sure is fun!

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 02:55:50 pm »
Excellent Thread!!!

I've been wanting to give this a go as well...

Ferb, I know what we're gonna do today!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline 726whk

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:11:25 pm »
knowin' other methods of fire makin' is a must as far as i'm concerned . The bow drill really isn't that tough once ya do it a few times and use the right stuff. Here in the south west Sotol , bear grass and mulefat work awesome in any combination.!!! I have a small 9 inch bow, 4 inch drill and fire board that i carry in my trekin' stuff.....nice little compact set i keep in a cloth sack....i have to admit though that i also carry a flint, steel and charcloth for a back up ; )
Tim