Author Topic: Standing Dead Maple Bow  (Read 2849 times)

Offline HighEagle

Standing Dead Maple Bow
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:00:06 am »
I call this bow "Standing Dead" Almost cut this stick up for firewood. This is my first bow that I have used a scale and tiller stick on, so I felt I could trust this bow to brace, shoot and not freak out that its going to blow on me at any time.  62" ntn 50#@28 I know my tiller is off lower limb is bending more then my upper and its not bending soon enough out of my fades. Did I whip tiller it? It did take approx 3"set. Cut to center, no hand shock. Thanks for looking, comment's more then welcome.

Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Stefan

Re: Standing Dead Maple Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:23:21 am »
Nice bow! did you use a dremel or something to get more grip on the handle.

Greetings Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:36:05 am »
Your lower limb is only bending in the middle, it's needs to work much closer into the grip and spread the bend into the tip area a little more. The upper limb is better but still with the same problems.
Whip tiller is when only the outer limbs are 'working'.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
Congratulations! Very nice. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:37 am »
Very nice finish work. You diagnosed your own tiller, you dont need my comments. Your set probably came from the bow being a touch short for your 28" draw. But hey, its a pretty bow and the grip is outstanding!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:30:54 pm »
Nice bow.
I wouldn't say it's whip tillered. I think most of the bend is concentrated in the centre third of both limbs, a tad more bend in the other thirds would have spread the load a bit and reduced the set a little. It's still a nice tiller though and the exact shape is down to personal preference/style/and a bit of luck ;)
I've use 'dead' Maple too and found a fair bit of set, dunno if it responds well to heat treating maybe?
It's nice wood to work.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 06:28:13 pm »
Nice bow!
And i think i will have to steal the handle design for some future bow if its alright with you.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 06:59:10 pm »
Ditto Pearl Drums....
rich

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:41:29 pm »
Thanks Guys for looking and the comments,
 The Standing Dead bow is shooting good its bang on only if my form is on. It has taken approx. 1/2" more set,  I realized as soon as I pulled it the first few times to 50# on the tiller stick that I might should have had a lower draw and weight seeing how much set it took so soon.
 The stippled grip was not my idea I have always liked the checkered gun stock grips on bows I think saw the stripping on one of 4est bows somewhere's  Used an old nail set chucked in a drill with a little oil it burnished in the dimples nicely.

Thanks again for looking and comments, Chuck 
Armstrong, BC