Author Topic: Character Stave Bow / Honest opinions wanted (not for bom)  (Read 6649 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Character Stave Bow / Honest opinions wanted (not for bom)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 07:23:48 pm »
Yes Sir,

Like the looks of this bow.

As to cosmetics, what kind of finish are you gonna put on it?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:10:22 pm »
Rich, with those character bows you get the best tiller you can and see how she shoots and feels in the hand. At least that is what I do. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline half eye

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »
Thanks George.... that's good enough for me
Gus, the bow would get my usual pitch and grease mix.....but I'm out right now so this gets 5/6 coats of Mink Oil heated and rubbed in.
rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 09:07:59 pm »
id say call it a bow , but if i know you your friend will probably have his pick of the litter

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 09:40:26 pm »
I'd be more than happy to call it mine :D :D I love those snakey bows. I'm sure your buddy will be more than happy.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 09:49:29 pm »
Rich I think that is a nice looking bow, I love character bows! When I get allot of roller coasters in a stave it makes it hard to tell if the tiller is right on or not :-\ I like to use outside calapers to make sure I have an even taper the entire way down from the grip to the tips and the limbs are working evenly through out. I also picked up from John Strunk to lay the bow down on its side on the work bench and hold the bow at the grip or center and pull the string toward you to see if one limb is stronger than the other ( one limb will rock toward you more than the other) and when it feels even then the limbs are even or real close. I like the bow, and im quite sure your friend will love it ;) Look forward to finished pics and also I think all of us on here would be honered to have a bow build by the famous Half Eye ;D I know I would!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 01:04:48 am »
 Rich. I think it looks awful. You should send it this way for immediate disposal ::) Give it to your friend. It looks goood. I like those snakey limbs with strings ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline druid

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 02:39:28 am »
Don't know about your friend but I like very much this type of the bow. This bow is very good for my opinion!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 03:03:39 am »
Honest Opinions...... HMMMMM I wish I could see the bow better. You have the tree in the background and I cant see it very well. I do like character bows though. As long as they are bows with character, not character sticks with a little bend. This one looks pretty good to me.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 04:10:30 am »
It would be an awsome hunter look at the way it blends into the tree in the background ...what happened to your shed??? ...all kidding aside bows with curves have sole, and iron wood is tough.it would be an honor and a privilege to carry that one afield.  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 07:38:51 am »
Sounds like you got it working good,it looks good to me ,I love character bows,but like Gordon said some do and some don't,as for me I like it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 10:39:35 am »
Thank you for the feed-back fellas. I believe I got a handle on the whole "character bow" thing as to what to look for in the finished product. I really appreciate all the feed back. Thanks Pappy, Justin, Druid, Ken, Hillbilly, TD, soy........Josh, "infamous" is probably closer to the truth >:D
rich