Author Topic: What is it or what the ..... is it! (continued)  (Read 28334 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: What is it or what the ..... is it! (continued)
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 12:47:02 am »
           Hmm.......... Didnt know was on Paleo Planet. Made this one 4-5 years ago. So what is it called ladies an gentlemen ? ???..........bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 12:35:37 pm »
The second one is a broad hatchet for hand hewing logs(one sided bit) and the first one is a home made carving hatchet. ???    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 12:58:09 pm »
 Ok Pat is correct on second hachet. Its a broad hachet that was used in preindustrial revolution fer the most part ta hand hue logs fer barn or house buildings.Ifn ya look at hachet ya see it only has edge on one side so it turns the chip away from wood surface. Flat side goes against wood when choppin'. This is a right handed axe since Iam right handed. Left handed can be made by takin' head off an reversing it. Popular with hachet bow makers and works very nice when razor sharp. Heavy long term use will give ya forearms like Popeye ! :o Sorry 2nd one is not a carvin' hachet but is homemade an can be used fer that. Has name what is it? ??? ;D ;D....bob
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 01:06:24 pm by Kowechobe »

Offline sonny

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 01:11:32 pm »
simply referred to as a bearded hatchet,, at least that's all I've ever heard 'em called.

I want one for bowmaking- seems to me you could grab it low on the handle for hogging off material or choke up, grabbing right by the head for fine work like when you get close to your lay-out lines.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 02:45:12 pm »
             Yup Persimmon is correct its called a bearded hachet. "Bearding" is the removal of steel er iron material so ya can choke up on hachet and make small concise cuts er chops.Chokin' up in design wont cause possibility of cuts by hachet. In 1st post 1/2 primitive said it looks like a bearded throwin' axe. It does and thats where name comes from. Was called a "Franciscan" axe used by franks. Theirs had a curved blade and handle was much longer and blade bigger. Axe was devestatin' cause when thrown at enemy it would bonce and skip an 'cause great damage ta foot troops and horses. :o Is very useful in bow makin' fer ya that dont use a bandsaw and dont like noise and want ta sit outside by stream er in backyard er woods and listen ta birds etc. ;) RAZOR sharp its a great tool and as said can be made with some time an tools. Cheap hachets from home depot etc. doint have carbon content of say Granbury axes and need ta be sharpened more often. A fair trade off fer cost ta my way of thinkin............bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 03:41:26 pm »
                          Ok heres a weird one just fer fun! Made it when I was 8 years old. Ah, we wont go into how long ago that was ! ;D What is it and what does it shoot? ;D........bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 03:51:10 pm »
i used mine to shoot paperclips at my cousins butt and got in a load of trouble. peace

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 04:26:38 pm »
     Ok a second simple one. What is it an what is it used fer an its name? Its homemade like instrument above. What are they ? ;D........bob

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 04:55:33 pm »
The first is a rubber band gun, (maybe?) second, either a coat hook or a key holder, hook, thing.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 04:57:16 pm »
Oh, it shoots by putting the rubber band on the tip, fitting it into the clothes pin, and opening it with your thumb.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

jamie

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 05:00:13 pm »
i think i know.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 05:43:08 pm »
                     Hahaha-yup its a rubber band gun and does as ya said 1/2 primitive. Do kids still make 'em?  Got in trouble as a kid fer shootin' paper clips at family members as did Jamie ? Second is not a coat er key thimg. ;D.........bob

jamie

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 05:58:13 pm »
2 sylables starts with a g? ;D

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 07:22:31 pm »
        YUP, hahaha! Is 2 sylabels an starts with a letter g and ends with a lette l. ;D........bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 07:50:24 pm »
                        Ok heres another simple one. Last hachet ,I know y'all are tired of 'em. I carry it in possibles bag er back quiver when I hunt hawgs and deer. Is homemade from a piece of 1/4" cold rolled steel. Has an ipe handle. What do I use it fer? Hint, Chet Stevenson(ole time archer hunter made many). He used 'em fer gettin' steel broadheads outta trees when he missed. I dont use steel broadheads  but I use it ! ;D.........bob