Author Topic: 46" backed birch called bear (not for bom)  (Read 5125 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: 46" backed birch called bear (not for bom)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 12:30:16 am »
Nice shortie there!  I'm partial to them, you know.  Woulda never thought of paper birch.  My kinda draw weight and length. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline druid

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 03:26:54 pm »
Good work half eye!!!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 04:47:53 pm »
You coaxed a lot of work out of that wood, Rich.  Great looking bow, man.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline randman

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 06:46:29 am »
Great little bow Rich! I always like your paint jobs and color schemes also. What's your formula for that light milky olive/khaki green I've seen on a few of your bows? Were you a sign painter at one time or something. That looks like a real sign guy color with the black and would look good with a little maroon also.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline half eye

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 11:20:02 am »
Thanks again for the wonderful comments, everyone.

randman, the dye I use on the bow is real simple, it is just food color in rubbing alcohol and rubbed on with a cloth rag. Lets the wood show through but you can give it several coats and get as dark as ya want. The black is really several coats of dark brown (RIT dye) over the top of the green.
       If you want really intense colors just use the food color straight out of the bottle. Just to let ya know that stuff will dye skin REAL good as well.
rich

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 03:37:51 am »
When I saw that first pic I said WOW!.   Need I say more? 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 12:00:26 pm »
That is a wonderful bush bow!  I'm so used to long-bows...I'm tillering a shorty out now that's sinew backed and I gotta tell ya, it takes some getting used too, I keep thinking the bow is going to blow in a big way...just not used to that short of a length...again, killer job on the birch shorty.  Cheers, P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline half eye

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 12:11:52 pm »
Thanks Arrowwind.

Primitive, I know exactly what you are saying about the "anticipation" part. I think there "force-draw" curve is steep also but I have a short draw anyways (26") so it's not that much of an issue. What finally helped me shoot them a lot better is looking at them like a hand-gun and not a rifle. Ya got to believe that the bow has the power and speed at the short draw and try to not think in terms of pullin it back to your ear.....I put mine out in front and draw right straight back to my face and concentrate on the "spot" and release, and to this day it amazes me how fast them arrows can cover 15/20 yards..........thanks for your nice comments
rich

Offline coaster500

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 01:43:48 pm »
What a cool compact powerhouse!! Nice shooter !!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline 4nolz

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 01:47:10 pm »
Perfect!