Author Topic: MULLETT talked me into it.  (Read 1872 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
MULLETT talked me into it.
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:46 pm »
Probably won't hold up in a court of law, but here are a few of my first stone points.  I like working the stone better than wine bottle bottoms.  The first pic are my points and some pressure tools.  Second are a close up of my points, upper left is from my creek, heat treated, and has crionoids in it.  Third, one of my more favorite end views.  Fourth pic is of the tools I made my son yesterday because he kept using mine and some of the points he's been working on.  I got a long way to go, but feel the learning happening w/ every new try.  Thanks for looking, dpgratz

Oh, tell me if I'm wrong, I sit down with a couple of big rocks and start beating them together making small sharp rocks and then beat the small sharp rocks more w/ stones and push on them with pressure until I'm sitting in a pile of rubble w/ one and if lucky two ok points if I don't break them.  Is this right?  Like my Dad said the first time I took him deer hunting, "If somebody said you had to sit quietly in a tree in the cold all day you'd feel like you were being punished."  ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

Re: MULLETT talked me into it.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »
It is great to see pink rock.  Those look like they need to be on an arrow.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:20:16 pm »
  Derik, those look like arrowheads to me. I can show you some originals that don't look that good. The more you break the better you get. You can speed up that curve sitting with somebody that can explain why and how.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 12:04:54 am »
John, I have you to thank for the rock.  THANKS!!

Eddie, I'd love to sit w/ someone, I know a guy in Columbus, IN, but it's hard to get us together.  I have been looking at two artifacts that I found here on the creek.  Kinda used those as my pattern.  Iowabow sent me some points that have yet to be notched that I'm also going to use for patterns, but I don't feel confident enough trying to work towards that now.  I'm having trouble getting very big spalls from a big rock.  Working on it though and learning all the time.  Feels good to see a long flake laying on the pad for the first time.  :D

Thanks for the comments guys.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:39:04 am »
Practice, practice,& more practice. Your points are a lot better than my first ones. Keep knapping. Your doing great!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:29:36 am »
Man, that pink rock does get around! Almost coast to coast by now :). Keep on hittin and peckin. You'll improve every time ya sit down.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:05:27 pm »
Looking good Derik! How's the local rock taking heat? I've tried crudely, but end up popping it using coals and burying it. We're going to have to just schedule a Sat/Sun to light a fire, break rock and reflect on what we do with some cold ones. I've got some hornstone for you to try also. After labor day things will slow for me. Give me a call. Good looking points!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr