Author Topic: Increasing weight?  (Read 6963 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Increasing weight?
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:25:24 pm »
Other than piking, is there a good way to add weight (say, 10 lbs) to a finished selfbow?  I've got a few wall hangers of various woods that sure would be nice if they had a little more oomph.

How about adding boo or sinew backing?  Is this practical for a bow that's been shot in a bit?  If so, how much weight could I expect to gain?

Is it too late for heat treating/bending?

Thanks for any advice.

-Tom

Offline Badger

Re: Increasing weight?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:48:35 pm »
Tom, sometimes heat treating and bending can add considerable weight to a bow, if the bow was underbuilt and overstrained too much to start it may not help as much. Adding a wood backing to a bow will add a lot of weight but is pretty much like building a new bow. heat treating a sinewing might be a good option for adding 10#. Steve
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:53:28 pm by Badger »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:00:42 pm »
Why don't you want to cut it off ? Is it a short bow to begin with.The other 2 options will work but a lot more trouble than just taking 3 or 4 inches off and retapper and cut some nocks. ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:03:50 pm »
O ya and Badger you must be tired you are kind of fat fingering the keys today.Read your post. ;D
Pappy ;)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:52:38 pm »
LOL, Pappy, I should read these things before I post!! Thanks the Moderators for our modify post feature.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 05:56:27 pm »
Why don't you want to cut it off ? Is it a short bow to begin with.The other 2 options will work but a lot more trouble than just taking 3 or 4 inches off and retapper and cut some nocks. ???
   Pappy

I'm with Pappy. Alot easier than trying to back or heat the belly- especially if you have to scrape the finish off :o

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 06:51:51 pm »
I like waiting till a bow is otherwise finished ,or at least tillered out to about half it's intended draw length, to put the first few layers of sinew on. Because as the sinew drys it will pull in some reflex,especially if ya tie it backwards an inch or so ,then sinew it.  So I'm in favor of sinewing a finished bow to increase the draw weight. Scrapping off a finish isn't hard, just remember to degrease the back too.

Ralph

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 12:54:52 am »
I brought the weight up almost 9 # by heating and re flexing and then toasting the belly. Bamboo will definately bring the weight up depending on how thick you leave the Boo
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 10:50:08 am »
Thanks for the advice, guys.  Think I'll try a little piking and toasting.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 11:18:12 am »
Sounds like a good choice to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

econner

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 07:54:20 pm »
I have a sinew backed osage that was reflexed before sinew even touched the thing. It came in under the desired weight by about 10#, can I just add more sinew to increase the draw weight? I would cut and retaper, but I already did that once and added some tip overlays which I would like to save. Plus the thing is about as short as I would want it now.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 01:29:17 am »
You can add more sinew to an extent. How much is on there now?  Sinew and hide glue weigh more than the wood so if I would add more sinew to it only where needed...in the working portion of the limbs. Keep the tips light.  Brace it backwards, slightly, before you add the sinew. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC