Author Topic: Bamboo belly?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Bamboo belly?
« on: September 02, 2011, 04:33:36 am »
Ha! 

I learn something every day!.  Looks like I thougth the solid bamboo bows were the bamboo lumber on the belly.  I just discovered that they aren't that at all.

So the issue I have been having is this.  I bought this Lyptus wood and I get int he final stretch of a bow aimed at about 60 lbs and it snaps.  Rather is forms this deep horizontal crack all the way through to the bamboo backing.

I have enough material to cut two more bows maybee three if I do a flat bow with a core.  So I'm thinking of trying to use it in the core of a bow with bamboo nodes on the back and belly.  The plan will be an ELB type thing first then I'll try something with some RFDF to it. 

When I put the bamboo on the belly should I keep it thick for tillering or should I aim to thin it pretty evenly?  Is it OK if it's fairly thick?  Any info here would be helpful.  Is this even a sensible plan.  The Lyptus seems light weight and pretty rigid.  I don't like it for bellies but I think it might make a great core.

Bamboo aside what do you guys think is the best belly wood?  I have consistant access to hickory and birch.  If anyone has made a boo bellied bow I'd love some pointers.  I'm at 4 bows now and none quite right.  2 Broken, 1 kinda broken, and 1 with a funky tiller that showed up a few days after finishing it.

Thanks,
PB