Author Topic: Black Walnut 69" ntn (pics added)  (Read 7817 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Black Walnut 69" ntn (pics added)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 09:14:39 pm »
Thank you fellas.  If there is anything I've learned about bw it is that it likes a wide flat limb.  I tried several times to use smaller diameter staves that had just a little crown to the back.  All of them exploded early in the tillering.  If you're staves have much of a crown at all, I would consider decrowning them or backing them.  I'm working on a bw shorty from a 4" branch right now.  I decrowned it and made a wide rectangular cross sectioned pyramid style and it is holding up nicely so far.  If it survives to completion I will post it next month.  Good luck and hope to see what you guys do with what I consider one of the most beautiful native woods.  BTW if any body figures out how to heat bend bw successfully, I would loves some pointers.  I can steam bend in beautiful recurves, and as soon as I put a string on it, right back to where it started. >:(  I think kerfing is the next thing I will attempt.  Anyway thanks again,
                                 Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 04:09:24 am »
Scott, that would be no problem to make happen.  I'm in KC all the time.  I would be more than happy to donate some to the cause.  If you would like to try it, let me know.  One of my terminals is in Liberty, I'll throw some in.

Offline Postman

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »
Beautiful bow - what if anything did you back the decrowned bw with?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:06 am »
The decrowned bow is only backed with thin air.  It has pretty wide and flat limbs to spread out the tension.  It's kind of an experiment to see how far I could push the wood now that I have a better understanding of BW properties.  I'll try to post it soon.  I just wish I knew a way to correct some natural deflex in one limb.  Every previous attempt to heat and or steam bend BW has ended in failure, sometimes explosively so.  Josh

Offline Freebirth

• My Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 06:16:15 am »
Man, that's a biiig knot. Gives me hope for my own bow with its whale of knot. Great work!
Southern Ohio

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 07:17:44 am »
Good looking bow,should be a sweet shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Postman

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 12:48:16 pm »
Cool - thanks for the info. I need to get some BW. Hopefully find some  flat ringed enough to chase.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline coaster500

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 02:51:35 am »
I love the look of Walnut....  you did a stand up job...  Very nice bow :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:04 pm »
Thanx everybody, I appreciate the kind words.  Pappy, I think it shoots great, but then I may have a slightly biased opinion >:D  The real test will be this Christmas when the unsuspecting young man gets it and tries it out.  I certainly hope he enjoys shooting it as much as I enjoyed making it.  Postman, if you do get some BW, the sapwood makes a beautiful contrast to the heartwood, but for my poor vision it is twice as hard to chase a ring.  I recomend leaving a couple rings of sapwood for the back, but if it is too difficult to see, take it down to the heartwood to chase a ring.  Much easier to see.  Also chase the ring fairly early in the curing process.  Much easier to work than when fully cured IMHO. Josh