Author Topic: Salvage a ash bow  (Read 3391 times)

Offline jasper

Salvage a ash bow
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:48:06 am »
I am going to try to salvage my ash bow.  It is pyramid and 66" long and I may be piking it shorter.  I have one limb reflex/deflex?  It the limb goes to the belly about 2/3s out and then sweeps back to the back near the tips.  The other limb is straight.  I have tried to match this bend on the straight one by steaming and it pulled out.  The tiller as is obviously does not match and it is frustrating.  I thought about trying to straighten the bent limb to match the other.  Any suggestions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Salvage a ash bow
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:01:33 am »
Take your time. Try to get the tillers to match on each limb. It can be done. Also, remember that the proof is how the bow shoots. The picture perfect tillers on character staves are not always possibe. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jasper

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:06:26 am »
Would I have to take more wood from where the limb bends to the tips since it appears to stiffer or less bending there.  The limb thickness will be much thinner there than on the straight limb or would you try steaming some george.  Thanks

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 11:07:32 am »
either way should be fine,with white wood I usually use dry heat unless I am putting a radical
bend in the tips.I oil them down with cooking oil and use a heat gun.I have had good success with it holding.I would probably try and match the straight limb with the other. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good