Author Topic: BEAR! Run!!!  (Read 2555 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
BEAR! Run!!!
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:20:41 pm »
Went on my first hunt of the year yesterday here in VA.  It was opening day of bow season.  I didnt hunt in the morning cause i havnt been to the property since last season and I wanted to check everything out on my way in to the stand.  I was hunting with my recurve and traditional only arrows with 125g woodsman broadheads.  I got down close to the river and checked my stand out cause I left it there since last season.  Turned out there was too much leafy cover to get off a shot with my bow and I forgot a saw.  So i climbed down and constructed a ground blind about 10 yds off a trail that runs parallel to the river.  About 45 min after I got settled I leaned up to look around the tree directly to my left and a small doe caught me!  She was coming right down the trail and would have been in my shooting lane in 5 seconds.  She stared me down for about 10 min stamping her foot then turned and blew out of there.  It was about 5pm so I decided to stick it out hoping something else would come along.  The river is about 40 yds behind me so I was hoping the running water had drowned out her alarm call some.  She didnt call too loud anyway.  About 6:20pm I look up and there is a dark form moving behind some heavy brush about 35 yds in front of me.  I stood up right away knowing it wouldnt be able to catch my movement.  It was walking right to left and emerged from the heavy cover.  Im looking at a freaking full grown black bear at 35 yds on the ground with just a recurve in my hands!!!  It was way too far for a shot and I wasnt even sure if the season was in so I didnt plan on shooting.  I got my cell phone out and got it on video just in time.  Bears have not been in this area in at least 50-100 years.  I had been hearing that there were bear sightings for the last 3 years or so but I just figured it was a couple roaming around the area.  Needless to say im definitely carrying a handgun from now on when I bowhunt there. 

Anyway sorry for the lengthy story.  The first video shows a 360 degree video of my setup and the second is the bear vid.

Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline johnston

Re: BEAR! Run!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »
Now that was cool.

Lane

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:05:54 am »
Thanks Lane!  My adrenaline starts pumping every time I think about it.  I forgot to say this was in Doswell, VA in case anyone wanted to know.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:38:54 am »
  Wheres DOSWELL I thought all VA had bears. At least all the countys I use to hunt did.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »
Do a quick google search and u can see right where it is.  North of Richmond.  There isnt bears all over VA.  A lot of places are too populated or just dont have the land to support them
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:34:01 am »
Cool story and a treat to see the bear. I spend a lot of time in bear country, and never worry about an attack. Probably much more of a chance to have a head on auto axident on the way to the hunting area. To me carrying a hand gun deminishes the wilderness and primitive experience. Enjoy and good luck hunting.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:37:05 am »
Great story. Don't worry about the bears they are more afraid of you!

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:35:21 pm »
Deer and elk are more dangerous, especially during the rut. 
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline kstout

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 07:41:32 pm »
I had one come by me at 15 yards up here in Michigan Sunday evening.  Got pictures on my trail camera at 10:06 P.M. when he came and ate the suet from my bird feeder.