Author Topic: 2nd try...still laughing  (Read 1591 times)

blackhawk

2nd try...still laughing
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:36:38 am »
Got home from work yest and went straight to the garage...lol. picked up a piece of Keokuk and a half hour later I did the one on the left. Still a lil thick and the same issues trying to figure how to thin it down right with light enough and proper angle percussion and pressure flaking it out to finish. But it'll work. Then I tried a short stocky piece of flint ridge and turned it into rubble. It was a lil too difficult for me to reduce down such a piece,but I almost had it. Proper and exact reduction in rock is way harder than wood im finding out so far. Then I tried another piece of Keokuk and had it thinned down better,BUT while I was fine tuning my thinning in percussion I didn't have it supported right and broke it in half. And that's the one on the right. I kinda finished it off for practice pressure flaking. I also found out im not gonna stop trying...lol.  :laugh: at least im enjoying myself ..that's the important part.

Other sides

Thanks for looking,and advice is always welcomed. That's why im posting so I can learn...Chris

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: 2nd try...still laughing
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:11:44 pm »
You're getting there, we are in the same boat really.  My son and I knapped a little before the school bus got here this morning, he works my bigger flakes and broken points.  To say the least, he ended up with a pile of new stuff to work.   :P  No giving in here though.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:29:26 pm »
That's what it's all about - enjoying yourself and learning. If you rotate your pad while ishi sticking you'll get a lot longer thinning flakes. Grind your platforms, push the ishi into the platform aiming in the same direction as the ridge on the backside, at the same time you apply pressure rotate your pad and point down and squeeze with your leg and pop - off comes a longer flake. Clear as mud :)? You can do the same thing with your hand flaker. Just keep on practicing..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:30:15 pm »
flakes are longer this time compared to the last. youre getting it
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »
Bowtarist it sure is a fun boat tho...although mines starting to sink because of too much sharp gravel is laying on the bottom...lol :laugh:

Yup cowboy...clear as mud ;) ill give her a whirl today.

Thanks Jamie..im gonna keep on keeping on :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:47:44 pm »
Yes Sir,

Feeling your pain... :)
Keep after it!

I like the looks of that rock.
Is that Chert?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX