Author Topic: Parrot feathers?  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Parrot feathers?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 06:03:53 pm »
The law was written back in the early 1900s to protect all birds from plume hunters that collected feathers for the fashion industry for womens hats. Many birds were driven into extinction or nearly so for the sake of fashion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »
Hm. Learn something new everyday I tell ya. Gonna have to do something other than groundsweeping for feathers now.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 12:08:53 am »
Vulture feathers are every bit as sanitary as any other molted bird feather.  Vultures take advantage of the UV germ killing of natural sunlight to bake the creepie-crawlies off their heads and feathers.  And just to add to the general information out there, large hawk/vulture/eagle feathers are no better than wild turkey feathers.  In some cases the web of the feather is actually less stiff than that of turkey feathers.  I've handled enough of them at various raptor centers to get a feel for them.  BUT you really don't want even a single unauthorized feather to show up in your possession because once you have an arrest on your record you are under suspicion for life.  Ain't worth it.  Not even with my Federal Raptor Permits is it worth it!

Many of the parrot breeders that you might go to for these macaw feathers are shipping all their molted feathers to an organization that distributes them between a number of Native American tribes.  These feathers often have greater religious significance than those of raptors.  Trade routes into Mexico, Central America, and even South America provided these feathers and even the live birds to these Southwestern peoples.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 04:55:33 am »
They DO look fantastic, BUT ...everytime you try to focus your target you'll think of the beautiful feathers that might get lost. Plus as JW says raptor or parrot feathers are by no means better fletching than turkey or geese! I own a legal gold eagle pointer, and it feels by far softer than a turkey feather.
Frank from Germany...

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »
ooo...pretty colors.......
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »
If you don't mind paying at least $1000 per feather to the feds go right ahead and use them.
  Like I said all native bird feathers are illegal to use(even song birds) except for game birds. It has been a Federal Law since the early 1900s.

Yea, As I recall from other reading there was a considerble problem with the vanishing of blue herons for their feathers.  Ladie hats were incomplete with out a blue heron feather at one point.