Author Topic: using all of the feather  (Read 4453 times)

Offline hammerstone

using all of the feather
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:52:47 pm »
when stripping feathers for fletching what does everyone do with the upper part of the feather?The lower makes the best fletching,but isn't the top usable if wide enough or do you just discard it?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: using all of the feather
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:54:08 pm »
I split a feather down the middle, if it is large enough, and use both sides if I can.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:51:29 am »
One side will be right handed and one left so don't mix them up if you do a set.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:30:30 am »
On the primary wing feather I discard the thin half.On the secondary you can use them both.
I normally only use the primary.Not that you can't use both I just get a lot so don't have to use the seconds. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:32:09 am »
The "off side" works as fletching, but is usually pretty short on primaries. Like Pat said, the offsides of right wing feathers will be essentially left wing feathers, so don't put both sides on the same arrow. I have used them a few times with good results for arrows with field tips. You usually don't have to trim them down to height-just use them as-is. I remember reading an article in one of the PA back issues about archers in (I believe) Bhutan who considered the offside of the feather to be the primo side. They do a lot of long range target shooting, so they like the low fletchings.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:04:03 pm »
Thanks for the info.guys.The left right thing was my main concern and once again the knowledgeable people on this website came through.By the way im new here as far as posting goes.My name is Ron i live in a place where primitive mens you ride a three wheeler instead of a four wheeler and personally i hate them both.God gave us legs for a reason.Im into anything and everything primitive.I have been shooting recurves and longbows for almost thirty years and have shot and built wood bows for the last twelve.Its great to find like minded people even if it is through a machine.Hope to make many new friends because like i said i live in a primitively challenged area .thanks again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 12:19:39 pm »
Welcome to our addiction, Ron. I have the feeling you will fit right in here with all of us other wood bow nuts. Looking forward to seeing some of your bows...even if you have to learn to deal with these modern putter contraptions. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »
I know this is an old topic but found it while searching for things about feathers seeing as I just bought a big bag of them. I have been keeping both sides and chopping them up for fletching. I've actually noticed that the offside can actually be stiffer in some cases for the fletching. I've actually be chopping up both sides with my LW little chopper, just have to make sure you get the orientation of the feather correct in the chopper. Basically just have to put it in upside down from how I would a LW feather. Got about 52 feathers, should be able to get close to 100 fletchings between Left & Right and being that they're full length and I use shorter fletching, 4" or so I should be able to get more than that on both side. Just gotta figure out the best way to grind them down. If anyone has a good method for that feel free to chime in.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 09:36:55 am »
Barry, I just put my feathers in a straight fletching clamp, and use a dremel to grind it down. If you don't have a dremel, a razor thins 'em down while they're clamped, too; it's what I used when the power went out in February during one of Texas' ice storms.

Bryce

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 10:56:27 am »
Barry I started by using two pieces of wood as a clamp and my neighbor offered to make a metal clamp as seen below.   I use a block to sand down to the thickness I want. 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 02:23:42 am »
I also use a feather clamp from my jig. I glued a piece of open-coat sandpaper to a wood block and use it to sand down the quill. I do trim the quill first with a pair of  sharp scissors.

It really doesn't take very long and could be done in a wikiup....

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine