Author Topic: osage stave with set  (Read 1366 times)

Offline luke the drifter

osage stave with set
« on: September 11, 2011, 02:48:22 pm »
i have a roughed out stave that has about 2 and 1/4 inches of reflex on each end.  the stave is 62 inches long.  1 and 1/2 inches wide end to end.  would 50lbs at 27 to 28 inches  make this too thin for the limbs?  would lower weight be more feasible?  any advice. 

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: osage stave with set
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:15:25 pm »
Bend thru the handle
Go for it !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:14:37 am »
I have a 57" ntn to recurve that is 1 1/8" wide at the fades and easily pulls to 50# @ 28". The handle is rigid.  You could make it a rigid handle long bow if you choose. Flip the tips some if you are going to pull it to 28", you need to be sure your string angle stays cool at full draw. The more narrow the staves are means the less you have to whittle off! Thats how I see it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:02 am »
Id go for a bend in the handle maybe 1 1/4 inch wide

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:42:47 am »
You have plenty of osage there for a bow. What I do is begin to tiller. If I feel the limbs are getting too thin I begin to take wood from the sides. You gotta kind of start and see. But you can't add wood to a selfbow so starting at 1.5 is a good idea. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 12:29:27 pm »
I agree with George. My last few osage recurves have been 60"t/t, 1 3/8" wide and working limbs right up to the bulbous handle(except for 6" rigid tips). After rechecking the weight on someone elses scales my 56# bows turn out to be more like 62# bows.  ::)   62"x1 1/2" is plenty of osage for a 50# bow...or a 60# bow...or a.......
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC