Author Topic: Pretty good day.  (Read 1883 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Pretty good day.
« on: September 10, 2011, 07:34:27 pm »
Even thought the wife and kids and a visit from my mom took up a portion of my day, I managed to stay on the porch and do a little knappin'.  >:D Only broke the big ones today.  I started and stopped on each of these points several different times.  Like I worked on one for one to five minutes and changed, after about three/four hours this is what I got.  Shot a few long flakes today and it felt good.  I cut the shtuff outta my thumb w/ a big flake, so I decided to haft it to a boo section for fun, it's sharp.

All stone is heat treated Burlington from Iowa.  Thanks again!!

except that lighter one which I got from the same guy and I like the way it flaked very much.

Thanks for lookin', dpgratz   
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Pretty good day.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 07:50:37 pm »
 Man, your improving quick. Those look good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:33:30 pm »
Looking good Derik! It's amazing how time flies breaking rock ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:52:53 pm »
Thanks Guys.  There's no perfection there, though.  Really I got lucky.  One thing I did diff. today was keeping my copper pressure flaker cleaned up and pointier.  Used a file and could tell a diff. when it started geting more round.  Dang near wore it down.  ;D  Lots of step fractures and crumbling still going on.  I just hold my breath and push the envelope/convex/tip.... :-\ and hope for the best.  The elves were here this morning, but this evening I busted a nice big piece into smithereans.  I'm not done for the day yet, though.  :o

Offline warhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 11:23:50 pm »
The step fracturing could be the type of stone you use. i think the white novaculite is pretty good.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:09:18 pm »
Your work is getting better and better.  All stone has different qualities.  The burlington has character due to cracking and then minerials filling them back in.  Sometimes it makes for a cool effect sometimes it can stop a flake.  The heat treating tends to normalize the material and allows the energy to continue.  If you work with the burlington long enought you will know what will work and what will not.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:15 pm »
Thought you might like to see what the natives did with the same stone.   These were found in the same creek as the stone I sent you.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:51:17 pm by iowabow »

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »
Neat John.  Thanks for the pic.  Good to see some step/hing fractures on the some of the ones that were used for sustainance.  Like I've always thought, you guys are making em even prettier than a lot of the originals.  A lot of the ones I've found in my neck of the woods are single beveles.  Knapped on one side, flipped 180 and napped on the other side in the same direction.  Just looked at em again, those are nice!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 11:09:15 pm »
It made me feel good to when I saw them.  I don't think they had the same network like we do here.  It is funny if you read some of the early how to stuff the modern flint knappers have really learned a lot.  You can see it even in here when someone learns a new thing everyone is like wow! Anyway looks like your having fun and that knife looks like slick material.  Have you tried the black stuff?

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:25:47 am »
Looks like your crankin em out. I'd hunt with em. Well done!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:33 pm »
Thanks for the replys.  I'm going to a state park this sunday, they are going to have knapping there all day and hoping to learn a little.  Archeology month I guess.  Gettin pretty excited, will be the first time I've seen any body knap in person.  I'm taking my stuff w/ me.  Thanks again y'all.

IB, I'm a little scared to try the good looking black stuff until I get a little better, maybe should take it w/ me this weekend.  I'm starting to get low again though.