Author Topic: If my arrow go's down when I shoot...  (Read 3234 times)

Offline toomanyknots

If my arrow go's down when I shoot...
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:58:47 pm »
...and it is caused solely by where I nock the arrow, is my knocking point too high or too low? I just put a handle on an osage longbow and I can't seem to make up my mind about redoing it, or just leaving it, as the arrows go down and the bow doesn't feel even when drawn. I know if my elbow gos up when I shoot, then my arrow will go down, and vice versa.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline artcher1

Re: If my arrow go's down when I shoot...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:18:30 pm »
If my nock is a little high or low, all I get is a little porpoising. Couple other things you might check. First, your arrow could be bent (down). But my guess is a weaker lower limb or not engaging the lower limb enough (with the heel of the bow hand).

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:58:47 pm »
   I agree with archer 1, brace it and measure your tiller. If it feels uneven one limb is over powering the other. Upper limb to strong and picking nock of arrow upwards during the shot. Sounds like upper limb has negative tiller. Had this happen to me during break in shooting. I tried for zero tiller because I shot 3 fingers under and have had it change because of string angle over a period of time.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:01:32 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:16:20 pm »
It's kind of a complicated bow. One limb (designated as the bottom) was a bit stronger to begin with, as it was deflexed and had to be stronger to not bend as much as the upper limb, which is a bit weaker, to meet the stronger limb and make a tiller that looks good, as it would bug me if it didn't look even, even if both limbs are not in balance. The arrow pass is around 1" high than center. It just feels like the nocking point is too high, which shouldn't be right, it should be too low??? I don't know. I shot the bow before I put the handle on to find the sweet spot which is where I wanted to put the arrow pass, but I think I screwed it up or something...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:36:28 pm »
You don't have to find the sweet spot on any bow, you can know exactly where it is each and every time if you do your part. One inch above center requires a straight to medium grip to balance the bow. For split fingers, an average of 1/2" above square is pretty consistant for a string nock. A slightly higher nock is reported by most that shoot three under.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »
  I build all my bows a inch above thats for split finger release. I would think 1/2 inch higher for 3 fingers under.
 I know lots of people build there bows to have a stiffer bottom limb. On paper this makes sence but only on paper.  This is surpose to make up for the split finger release. Sence your handle below center and your selfs a inch above center also. Theres really no need. I've built over 100 bows about 98% ELB.
    And have never had the tiller change because of split finger release. Besides even if your tillers off the arrow comes of the bow the same place everytime. It may not be a surfisent as it can be. But shoots the arrow same place each time.
    I could see doing this MAYBE if you tillered for 3 under MAYBE. If your feeling the one limb more no matter if the limbs are different lenths. AND YOU TILLER THE BOTTEM LIMB TO BE STIFFER. You tillers got to be off to much if your felling it that much. All selfbows have the tip of the arrow a little below center actully any limb bow. How much depends on fourm and release as to how much. Only compound have to have a level arrow. If not you can never tune your compound.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING