Author Topic: I wish I would have tried it before  (Read 11002 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
I wish I would have tried it before
« on: September 16, 2011, 09:27:31 am »
I have been a 3 under shooter since I started non-compound archery in the mid 90's. I have always struggled with arrow flight consistency and bow noise from my self bows or glass bows back then....always. If my hand pressure wasnt just perfect on the bow and my draw arm wasnt just perfect my bow would get loud and my arrows flew horribly. After 3 hours of frustration last night I decided to try split finger. It took a few dozen shots to get used to the new feel, but my bows all shut right up completely and shoot the best, most consistent arrows I have ever got from them. Almost made me cry I was so happy.........It will take some getting used to with a different finger in the corner of my mouth and different pressures, but the little shooting I did last night was the best I ever have. It also seems my bows are quicker. Im not saying split is better for all, or that 3 under is bad. For me, split is the way it seems.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: I wish I would have tried it before
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:33 am »
I have tried 3 under and never could get good arrow flight and bow was always noisy. i know some that swear by 3 under,it's just not for me.  :) Most point of aim
folks shoot 3 under also to get the arrow more in line with the eye. :) O boy,now I have opened a can of worms,get out the popcorn. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:13:01 am »
Im not a point of aim guy Pappy, maybe thats why it never worked right for me? I cant help but notice my arrow at draw, but I dont use it one bit. I can shoot good in the pitch black dark as long as my target is visible. I anchor with my middle finger now, that still puts the arrow close to the same spot on my face. Maybe a touch higher. I even built my bows according to my style of drawing. It never seemed to matter how I tillered them. Negative, positive, neutral or anything else. They all shoot the same.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:05 pm »
   With split finger you don't get that arrow slapping the shelf. I've always that good flight and my bows are super quite. With 3 under you also have to have  closer arrow spine.
 PD heres a little tip that will really help RELEASE with your third (LAST) finger down first. You'll get the same release everytime. Release with thrid finger and the other two just have to follow suit. With good release your bow will be exture quite.
  Plus split fingers just feels more natural. When shoot instintive the more everything comes nature the better you shoot ( THE LESS YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT THE BETTER YOU SHOOT). I shot right off the wood ever sense I started building and hunting with selfbows 21 years ago. I've always had good arrow flight and a there super quite. IF THERE NOT LOOKING AT YOU THEY NEVER DROP AT THE NOISE. BECAUSE THERE IS NO NOISE.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:03:13 pm »
Thanks for the 3rd finger advice. I am anxious to try it out tonite. I took the fur off my string last night and the bow was still dead quiet after a touch of brace tweaking, plus a touch speedier w/o the weight on the string. I had 7 of my bows spread out on the deck last night shooting with a flood light on. I was so excited to grab bow after bow and get the same results. Perfect flight w/ a broadhead, and dead quiet. My "slow" 45# bows seemed to zip an arrow like never before. My wife finally had enough and told me to come in.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »
Man that's excellent...
Sounds like you got a whole new set of bows.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:35:29 pm »
Nice I'm pleased for you man

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 03:02:53 pm »
Just goes to show you it doesnt matter how long you have been at this stuff, its never too late to learn or try something different. The plus is I have about 500 +/- arrows and shafts laying around my shop from all the experimenting I have done to get consistent flight over the years.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:43 pm »
Third finger?!?!?!

Is that the same as the one they call the New York Turn Signal?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:09 am »
Thanks for the 3rd finger tip, that makes me even happier! I just have to remind myself (for now) to let the 3rd finger release the string. I cant stop thinking about the difference I am experiencing with this change in shooting. I went from 4" groups at 20 'ish to 2" groups, or better.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 03:41:34 pm »
One consideration that might be leading me back to shooting split finger is self nocks.  When shooting 3 under the arrows need to be pretty secure on the string, or you end up dry firing like I did a couple of weeks ago when the arrow fell off at the last second.  Making "pop" nocks isn't too hard, but it is difficult to make them consistent over a whole batch.  It's much easier to just file a groove in the shaft that'll slip around the string.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 05:19:24 pm »
My wife finally had enough and told me to come in.

Serendipity... thats what you call it.... discovery by accident.. glad you had this discovery

Wives are so funny ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I guess it doesnt matter what state you live in ;) they all the same

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »
My wise ol' man always tells me "They are all sisters with different address'!".  I think he may just be right?  No offense ladies of the board.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 01:17:34 am »
  COOL GLAD YOUR IN THE ZONE.
  Heres 3 other things that will make those 2 inch groups to and inch or under. This seams to help selfbows more so than glass. It did me.
  FOLLOW THROUGH
  When you release don't do anything untill your allow hits the target NOTHUING.
  Next when you follow through don't try watching the arrow fly NEVER,NEVER stop looking at the spot you picked unto your arrow hits. This go's along with follow through.

Then it's # 3 I got this from a guy I worked for surveying. That knew and shot with HOWARD  HILL. He said HOWARD always did this. And beleive me it tighted my grops down and it will yours.
  Just keep your leather firgers or tab powered down. He has a rosin bag you see pitchers picking up between batters. I use arm and hammer I also use it as a sent elimanater.
  I use'lly buck hunt 60 plus days and don't beleive in the sent spay thing. Beside think how many gallons I'd go through a season.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline johnston

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 01:31:29 am »
I agree with that.

Lane