Author Topic: Advice on making hard apple cider  (Read 7343 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Advice on making hard apple cider
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 12:42:14 pm »
I would love to Matt! I will say 55 gallons is a TON of drunks. The problem is it continues to get stronger as it ages and eventually its so rough you can hardly drink it. If you can find a smaller 25-35 gallon barrel it may be better. Dad collects old wine bottles and 2 liters to store his in after its done cooking. You will find yourself toting 2 liters everywhere you go so folks can sip your creation.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deo

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:05:34 pm »
I only aged it for 6 months, couldnt wait much longer. My grandfather a old time portuguese wine maker said it tasted like wine, thats as good as a complement i will get out of him. Now i cant look at other fruit with out thinking hmmmm i want to make wine out of that. Your right JW Halverson, the best varietys are the heirlooms. I used pippins were are an exellent juicing apple. I like to wait till the frost hits them turns em yellow and increases the sugar content.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 09:21:32 pm »
anybody ever make apple pie, it's kinda the drink of choice at the rendevous around here, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 09:55:03 am »
Deo six months should have been more than enough with your batch size. It may have tasted like wine because it perculatetd a bit longer and it "stiffened" up some. In any event it sounds like your happily numb! Good job Brew meister.

Bub that Hot Apple Pie stuff should be illegal! WOW is that a great ice fishing treat after a few hours in a shack staring down a 6" hole!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 01:12:31 am »
yeah, it's good stuff, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »
  This is a brewers tree I made for my sons beer brewing, he makes excellent beer. i also use this for distilling alcohol.

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »
Propane burners converted to natural gas

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 04:29:55 pm »
I preffer the destilled moutian spring water ;) >:D doesnt take much time to make and is allot more potent than hard cider ;D

You might look into the book Alaska Bootleggers Bible its got allot of good stuff in it! Another thing I have found with making drink is its better to do larger scale once you get your recipe figured out because allot of time and work goes into it so you might as well go as big as your local laws allow :D Here is some hard cider I made a while back this is whats left of one jug out of a 100 gal batch we did, it ended up around 12%ABV and we were happy with that >:D

Josh
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:47:08 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 08:30:43 pm »
Daaaaang!  I know I am not the best housekeeper and I often end up with a bit of a ring in my bathtub....but what you got going on there is scarey!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.