Author Topic: Started a Cedar Paddle Bow...  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Started a Cedar Paddle Bow...
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:56:10 am »
Hey gang, I started this Paddle Bow last night and all was going well but as I got it roughed out to near profile shape I noticed there are a couple spots that make me nervous.  The wood is a Cedar, I thought it was an ERC when I cut this smaller diameter tree from a trunk split off the main tree.  It was planted near a 100 year old house...once I cut it I could see that the heartwood was quite a bit different in color from a typical ERC and this wood is super light and dried in a couple weeks.  I am wondering if these small spots/areas are some type of rot or fungus that got into the tree at some early point?  Anyway, here are a couple pics of it and any thoughts on whether this wood is a poor choice or not would be greatly appreciated.  I am wanting to make this bow a sinew backed bow but really don't want to waste the sinew or all the labor involved if it is questionable...

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

Re: Started a Cedar Paddle Bow...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:13:59 am »
My vote is NOT to sinew it. I don't like seeing fungus or rot spots in ANY type of wood with cedar in its name.

UserNameTaken

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »
I'm not an expert, but it doesn't look like Eastern Red Cedar to me. And, if there's any chance that it's a different type of cedar, you probably shouldn't waste the sinew.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:40:04 pm »
Thanks guys, I guess if my gut tells me no and you all say the same thing then I will follow my gut (besides, sinew is a real pain in the you know what to process so no sense putting it down on something I have doubts about) so maybe I'll just keep this one around for a template or I could cover it with glass and let my boys use it as a micro kayak paddle  ::)

Hey Blackhawk, this was that one "sapling" I had split that was in the garage when you where here...remember we could put a finger on what it might be but knew it wasn't ERC?

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline robby

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:46:23 pm »
Lee, that looks more like Arborvitae, or what is called white cedar around here. I've never heard of it being used in bow making. The defect looks more like a shake, or separation in the growth ring that may have happened years ago By the look of it, and you would have to remove grain down to the next healthy ring. I believe a bow can be made from any wood as long as you play to the characteristics of the wood itself, but you have to ask if it is worth the effort, only to end up with a bow that may not suit your original intentions. Good luck!
Robby

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 02:17:48 pm »
Yeah I remember and knew what that was. And I think our assessment was right of it being white cedar.

I know guys out west have and use incense cedar and sinew,but I have no clue what a sinewed white cedar wood do??? Prob not so good???

I see your not giving up on making a paddle bow. How about this. I have a short ovalish yew log that has two pretty wide and flat crowned sides to it. You can have one side and we can call it a you owe me trade for later down the road when you have something I want. Only thing is is that its no where near being seasoned as you know.  That way you can stop messing around and make a real authentic west coast paddle bow. Deal???let me know and ill split it out for ya.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 02:31:03 pm »
Thanks a ton Chris!  Ya, got the bug BAD for all these Paddle Bows and actually anything Native American.  Plains, Buffalo Horn Bows, Bighorn Sheep Horn Bows...and on and on it goes  >:D  Might have to quit my day job since it seems it gets in the way from time to time.  LOL

I'll gladly take ya up on the deal...got a ton of stuff drying in the basement so I am sure there is something in there that will interest you.

Apple, Lilac, Osage, BL, Yew, Pignut Hick, White Ash, Wych Elm, Black Cherry, etc.

Talk soon~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:51:08 pm »
Okedokee....ill split her out and put your name on it  ;)

I love anything NA too...hell....I like em all ;D

Yeah it wood be nice to hit the big jackpot so we could quit are dang day jobs...it sure does get in the way ::)

Ill bring it up next time im back up in MI. Which'll prob be this winter im thinking. Can't work on it till at least next summer anyways. Or you could always come out my way too ;D

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »
cant wait to see this one finished coco puffs ;D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:39:36 pm »
Man i can't wait to see this thing done and shooting.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 06:50:24 pm »
Seems that I have a short ovalish yew stave that I received in a trade with Blackhawk.  Hmmm...I think I'll split that thing and start getting her seasoned!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 10:33:47 pm »
Sorry Fruit-the-Loops and Dazv this one won't be getting finnished do to the possible dry rot and also cause it's likely White Cedar and I won't "spend" good labor, hide glue or sinew on something this questionable.  I will however find a nice piece of Osage that I can use this bow as a template on and then hopefully things will progress a little more smoothly.  I do have some Black Locust that may work or possibly a piece of REAL ERC to try it out on...if they are dry enough (just bought a moisture meter, what a novel little gizmo  8))
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Dazv

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 10:25:08 am »
Oh man that sucks  she was going to be great

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 04:04:00 pm »
Lee since u dont have nothing to lose why not try and finish the bow kinda like for an expirement, who knows it make turn out to be a great shooter.  My opinion would be to back that bow if not sinew then rawhide or another wood like hickory or even bamboo would look cool.  Just my 2 cents!...

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill