Author Topic: Need help with walnut issue......  (Read 1796 times)

TurtleCreek

Need help with walnut issue......
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »
  I have a black walnut stave perfectly straight, 72 inches long, a hair over 2 inches wide by 2 inches deep.  I would like to make an eastern woodlands style of bow with it about 66 to 68 inches long and in the neighborhood of 40 to 50 pounds at my 27 inch draw length.  My issue or problem is this-  along the length of the stave which would be the future bow's back there are shallow grooves and ridges.  When looking at the corner edges of the back of the stave, these grooves and ridges are no more than an 1/8th of an inch higher or below the back corner edges of the stave.  When making the bow, can I basically "ignore" these and proceed as if they aren't there or would it be safe to flatten the back and back the bow with rawhide?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need help with walnut issue......
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:01:16 pm »
Is this the natural shape of the back or were they gouged in there? If they are natural, just ignore them and tiller your bow out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 04:05:18 pm »
  This is the natural contour of the back of the stave.  I was extremely careful and worked slowly to remove the bark down to the cambium, and then took the cambium off with very light scraping and when that got thin enough, I took the rest off with sand paper to make sure I did not violate the back ring in any way.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:22:35 pm »
Should be good to go then !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:47:57 pm »
Thems just character marks! Should make a pretty bow by the time you whip it into shape. Hackberry also has lumps and bumps on the back sometimes. Makes for a sweet back.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:02:06 pm »
As does Hickory and IronWood,what everyone else said. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »
  Sounds good guys.  Thank you all for the input.  I will try and post some pics tonight so you can see exactly what I am working with.