Author Topic: ODDS ARE GOOD  (Read 2599 times)

Offline crooketarrow

ODDS ARE GOOD
« on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:21 am »
  Our season starts in 2 days here in WV. Made 8 new trade points to go on 8 new HAZZLE arrows. On 3 farms I hunt theres 32 bucks, 13, 3 1/2 to 6 1/2 and 4, 5 and 6 year olds I have'nt seen sence winter (cams) which I only run in the winter after season. After those bucks reach 5 and 6 they tend to disapear alot more.
    I have 92 days to hunt thats 184 morning and evening might miss a time or 3 dang kids. 17 Bucks 184 chances 24 ground sites. Shooting better than I have in 40 years. I just may it lucky, the trick is to keep the odds in your favor. I only been getting ready sense last JAN. But it's aways from year to year for me. I enjoy the getting ready as much or maybe even more than the hunting   NOT   Sure glad I ran that AD I found a unstanding old lady that olds down the fort all these years for 3 months every fall.

THE WIND IS YOUR FRIEND WHEN YOU HUNT THE GROUND
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: ODDS ARE GOOD
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:37:07 am »
Sounds like you got a good plan, :) :) hope it works out good,shoot straight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:06:03 am »
   As you know it's easy to see them in the summer.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:40:55 am »
YEP. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:33 am »
Sounds like you've really done your homework and are totally prepared and it sounds like you have some real fertile Buck Grounds...good for you.  Man, I wouldn't know what to do with odds like that...I have 3 places to hunt and I'll be VERY lucky if I get to take a shot at a buck, does are a good possibility.  I got started on my quest to take a Deer with all Primitive gear that I have made myself and it will be down to the wire for getting my arrows complete.  I hope to be able to get access to much better properties next year but will have to make due with what I can hunt this year.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »
  LEE beleive me if theres doe's theres bucks PERIOD. I killed 36 bucks with selfbows. I'm saying this because lots of those bucks were killed off places just like yours. You just have to hunt pressured bucks differently. It mainly comes down to timeing.
  Yea I have learned to do my home work by only going into my hunting areas in the winter after season. I scout set up ground sites totally with the wind. WALKING IN-WHILE I'M THERE AND WENT I LEAVE. No walking around after you hunt to scout do this in the winter. NEVER NEVER BUT UNNEEDED PRESSURE ON YOUR BUCKS. ONCE A BUCK EXSPECIALLY MATURE BUCKS KNOWS YOUR COMEING THERE THE ODDS JUST WENT UP 10 WHO KNOWS 50 TIMES. Your day time movement  just stoped other than the rut.
   I won't even run summer time cameras. Only in the winter off bait piles to see what made it. I hunt only farm land so my bucks a vistable in the summer. I use'lly glass the fields once a day some places morning and evening. Heres a little advice. Never walk when you can ride when it comes to deer.
  When I walk out on my deck and check the wind I know what farm and what stand I'm hunting. These change with PRE-PRE RUT-PRE RUT- RUT-POST RUT. You don't want to hunt your stands at the wrong time of year. And burn them out or tip off your bucks there being hunted.  Few stand sites can be used as doubles. Worst thing you can do is hunt that stand site because you killed a deer there before. THINGS CHANGE even if it's suddle.
  I hunt off the ground with a HOME MADE GHILLIE sence 81 only off thr ground scence 05. I TOTALLY  hunt the wind ( IF IT'S NOT RIGHT I DON'T HUNT THAT SITE PERIOD) you can full a mature bucks nose no mater how much scent spray and how much scent loc you where. Set up close I have'nt shot a buck over 15 yards with a selfbow.   DID SHOOT A 7 OR 8 YEAR OLD DOE AT 18 OR 19 YARDS LAST YEAR.
  I hunt almost everyday and never use and scent pervention use the wind. I arrowed my biggest buck after leaveing MICKY D'S A 138". If I did it cost me $ 5000 a year in spray. If it worked so good don't you think fox trappers would use it. THEY DON'T wander why.
  I'M a firm beleiver inthe KISS method. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. It's always worked for me.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »
Hey Crooketarrow, thanks a TON for that detail reply...it makes a lot of sense and was just what I needed to hear.  I was hoping to be in one of my spots this morning but between a sniffling, sneezing, coughing head cold and our winds are swirling horribly after a massive 50 mph front came through last night...

I am wrapping up (literally) my fletchings on the 1/2 dozen arrows I made yesterday so I can use them to hunt tomorrow.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 09:16:51 pm »
Here I thought this thread was going to be about internet dating sites.  You know what they say about those...The odds are good, but the goods are odd. 

I prefer good odds in the woods, myself.   Good luck Crooket
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.