Author Topic: Questions, starting first tri-lam  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Stefan

Questions, starting first tri-lam
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:21:10 am »
Hi Primitive archers,

I am starting a tri-lam ELB, i am going to use a hickory backing (6mm thick), bamboo supercore (parallel strips of bamboo 6mm thick), ipe belly (16mm thick)

My questions:

1) should I plane the hickory down, to 3 or 4 mm?
2) should I add a riser piece, without planning down the hickory the thickness is 28mm? A glue up riser will probably pop off if I am going for a full compass tiller?
3) I am going to use titebond, do you rough up wood so that the glue can grap more wood?

Thank you,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline adb

Re: Questions, starting first tri-lam
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:15 pm »
For tri-lams, I generally make my backing strips and core strips 1/4" thick. If you're using titebond glues (and I use nothing but titebond 3), then do NOT rough up the surfaces. The glue joints should be perfectly matching, smooth, and clean. If you're going to tiller full compass, then you're right, don't add a riser piece, it'll pop off. Good luck with your bow! If you need anymore help, please just holler!

Offline Stefan

Re: Questions, starting first tri-lam
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:31:01 pm »
Thank you adb!

Your reply is really helpfull. I will keep you posted

Greetings,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo