Author Topic: Lefty feathers fletched righty?  (Read 10103 times)

Offline JMcCauley

Re: Lefty feathers fletched righty?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:00 pm »
When you mix RW and LW feathers on a 3 fletched arrow (say you have 2 RW and one LW) the LW feather counterclockwise from it act like the stabilizer on a plane and create lift toward the third feather so the arrow angles in the opposite direction. At the same time the third feather turns the arrow causing the aforementioned lift to throw the arrow into an outward spiral. This is really the only problem I've ever seen caused by fletching direction. Any other fletching configuration should work fine. I've taken salt cedar and secured the needles onto the back for drag and the arrow flew straight.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »
When you mix RW and LW feathers on a 3 fletched arrow (say you have 2 RW and one LW) the LW feather counterclockwise from it act like the stabilizer on a plane and create lift toward the third feather so the arrow angles in the opposite direction. At the same time the third feather turns the arrow causing the aforementioned lift to throw the arrow into an outward spiral. This is really the only problem I've ever seen caused by fletching direction. Any other fletching configuration should work fine. I've taken salt cedar and secured the needles onto the back for drag and the arrow flew straight.

Translation: it don't work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 06:58:21 pm »
I fletch straight fletch (No twist) all the time,long as my arrows are F.O.C. ,they seem to fly very well.Course; I don't shoot past about 25 yds. as a rule unless I am just playing and then I still shoot pretty straight. Hmmm.....  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington