Author Topic: Some BL questions?  (Read 937 times)

Offline tetaxidermy

Some BL questions?
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:53:18 am »
Since I see some nice BL bows posted got me thinking. I have a piece of BL 56'' long that I started working a ring on. How much draw do you guys think I can get? Looking for somewhere between 25'' to 27''. Thinking about a Cherokee style bow with diamond nocks. Just built an osage bow 52'' long same style, works great been hunting with it, just wondering if BL can pullit off at a short lenght too. Thanks, Eric.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

blackhawk

Re: Some BL questions?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:24:25 am »
How wide is your stave? At that length the bow will need to bend in the handle to get that long of draw,and your tiller will have to be really good so you don't fret it. If you have at least 1 3/4" of width then id say go for it.

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:50:08 pm »
Width is 2''.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:39:29 pm »
Locust was the preferred wood for the Cherokee until they were forcibly moved to Oklahoma where they took up using osage, a more available bow wood in Oklahoma.
  Make it 1 3/4" wide and so it will bend through the handle. You can reduce the width of the handle like in the Sudbury bow and still get it to bend through the handle. Also, locust takes heat treating very well and that will help with it's compression vulnerability.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC