Author Topic: Northern whitecedar  (Read 3463 times)

Offline druid

Northern whitecedar
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:58:13 pm »
I have beautifull sapling of this. Have anyone made longbow off this wood?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Northern whitecedar
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:08 pm »
Probably too light for bows but should make good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline druid

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:54:12 pm »
Not posible for arrows...  :( 2" reflex spread along length. I will try to make some serious weight bow off it. I do not like to use species that can not handle middle weight longbow, narrow profile. Thanks God, I have good forests around my cabin so I am not short supplied with it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:56:51 pm »
My friend built a home using white cedar. It was very soft and very porous, but very weather resistant as well! It would take allot of width and thickness to keep it together as a bow I think. Give it a try and see what happens Druid.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:03:42 pm »
I've never tried a bow from white cedar, but I have used it for carving decoys.  It's a very light weight wood and pretty porous wood like Pearl said.  Not sure what kind of bow it would make, but if anybody can do it it's you.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline druid

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »
Seems ther is large difference between yours and this white cedar: this one is very dense, about 0,6 SG, maybe more!!! I do not know how it will hold but it is like iron pipe- totaly unbendible and strong 1 1/2 x 1 1/2.
I will have no mercy for this stave, treating like the best ash.  :) Will see.....
P.S. I found it on translator- thuja occidentalis is whitecedar, right? Here it almost never grows thicker than5" in diameter.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 04:36:53 pm »
It's probably a very different wood then, the type I was carving is Chamaecyparis thyoides.

Now that I think about it I did order some smaller pieces of Norther White Cedar that I carved for heads and stuff.  It is a much denser wood than the Atlantic White Cedar I also used.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:29:07 pm »
I have made a couple dozen shafts from northern white cedar and after getting the spine right they did just as well as the commercial POC shafts i ordered.  It was very soft and easy to work, and had that sweet cedary aroma.  I am surrounded by it and will eventually get a bow out of it, im currently intrigued by the swamp spruce that grows in northern Canada.  With rings tight like yew,  and the bottom-side darker portion (compression wood) of leaners seem much more dense. 

Will be eagerly awaiting the northern white cedar bow. :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"