Author Topic: Hunting license for private land?  (Read 14203 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Hunting license for private land?
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:11:46 pm »
Ok I checked the Indiana dot gov website and it is not clear whether or not I need a hunting license for hunting on private land.

I remember reading somewhere that stated you do not need a license on private land.

I ask because I'm going hunting this saturday with my friend on his family land(100s of acres).  No DNR or cop to stop us there.

I dont hunt public land much.  I've never bought a hunting license before...fishing yes but hunting never before.

Can anyone clarify this?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Hunting license for private land?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:32 pm »
I can't speak for Indiana specifically, but the North American Wildlife Model that is the basis for almost all game laws holds wild game to be held in the public trust.  That means that even if it is on private land, the game belongs to the people and is under state management, hence you would need a license.  The license exists as permission of the people of the state to allow you to take game.  It's just democracy in action.  If everyone just took what they wanted we'd have what we had in the late 1800's and early 1900's - no game for anyone.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »
State variable. In Indiana, here are the exceptions, regarding private land, from IN.gov (italics mine):

You must have and carry a valid license and applicable state stamps to hunt any wild animal, with exceptions as follows:

Residents or non-residents participating in a field trial sanctioned by the DNR director.
Landowners, or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana, their spouses and children living with them, while hunting, fishing or trapping on the land they own or lease.  This exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family and farm that land. Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adaptable for the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.
The law does not exempt non-residents who lease land in Indiana. Non-resident lessees are still required to purchase non-resident hunting and trapping licenses.
Residents of Indiana engaged in full-time military service and who are carrying their leave orders and a valid Indiana driver’s license or Indiana voter registration card.
Non-resident military personnel on active duty and stationed within Indiana may hunt or fish with a resident license.
An individual who is less than 13 years of age; does not possess a bow or firearm; and is accompanied by an individual who is at least 18 years of age and holds a valid license.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:20:20 am »
I know that in GA, SC and NC if you own the land and live on it you don't have to have a license. Other than that you do.
  JW gave a very good explaination of why. I've never heard it explained that way but it makes more sense than I've heard before.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »
  Most places landowners can hunt without a lic.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »
In Nebraska you could hunt on your own land without a license for small game for free.  You could get 1 reduced cost deer tag if you had over 40 acres.  When I bought there it was 20 acres so I bought into a 21 acre acreage.  Then they changed it to 40 the next year.  Everywhere else I've lived farmers and their immediate family could hunt for free on their land.

No place I've lived allowed hunting without a license on private land if you didn't own it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:09:00 am »
Tennesse you can hunt you own land,also kids and grand kids and so on,no brothers/sisters uncle/aunts. License for anyone else public or private. Also you don't have to wear orange if hunting with a bow on your own land in gun season. I like that part. :) :) If I was a betting man I would say you need a license.  :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BearG

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:49:50 am »
I hunt Indiana, on private land for deer all I have ever bought is a deer tag.  Small game ect. you need a reg. hunting lic.  I have never had any problems at all.  Other than the the price $150.00 per deer per season. for non-res.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »
 In Florida if you are the landowner you do not have to have a license, everybody else does.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kpete

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »
Nebraska does require landowners to have licenses and permits for game hunting.  They do have some privelages for big game licenses.
Wyoming requires landowners to have licenses as well.
Law enforcement in most states has authrorization to enforce game laws on public and PRIVATE land.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »
In South Carolina it does not matter if you own the land.  You must have a license and all permits needed to hunt whatever game you are after....period.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 08:14:11 am »
Even if the law does not require it, I think its a good idea because the money goes back into hunter education programs, conservation, ETC.  Kinda helps out ya know, it also gives the state an idea of the number of deer harvested that year.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei