Author Topic: backing question  (Read 3016 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
backing question
« on: October 17, 2011, 11:54:13 pm »
i was wondering if this would be ok to do, i was going to make a few hickory backed ipe warbows hopefully 150+, and i was going to make then where i could fully extend into a 36inch draw, thus needing them to be around 80+ inches, so this summer i got hold of what i thought would be the harder to find wood of ipe in a great 7ft board, but i am having problems finding hickory lumber locally( i have 2 options left to check, but they are not definite, only recommended from the ipe dealers), so i was wondering if two shorter backings that meet in the center and are wrapped with hemp or sinew would hold, that way if i how to have it shipped i wont go broke with such a long board
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline adb

Re: backing question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:58:27 am »
You can draw 36"???? Really?? I'd like to see that!!

Your question about joining the backing in the middle? It's definately not something I'd do on a heavy draw weight bow.
Hickory backed ipe will certainly make 150#+, but I'd use a single backing strip.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:10:05 am »
if i draw to the ear its 32, but if i straighten by shoulders out and fully get into the bow, my hand raches my shoulder an thus the36 inches, i actually have a video on YouTube of me doing it, the arrow is the 4ft 2500 grain monster i had posted   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqoZ8nO5V84
and i guess i will keep on looking for the backing, im curious what distance i can get with a draw and weight  like that, so far the only bow i can pull that with is a heavy but inefficient bow i use for strength and technique training
thanks
noel

Offline Ian.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:11:10 am »
I think that you will find if you pulled anything approaching 150 then your body would compress so much you would only need to draw 32 if that. How tall are you Noel?

In terms of backing's bamboo is very good, white ash is good especially taken to a single growth ring. Were you going to go for a core wood, keep the physical mass down.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:53:06 pm »
im around 5ft 10ish, but my shoulders are very large, i also know it will compress al little, but i got the 36 with a hundred plus bow, not exactly sure of weight, the reason it is 36 though is that im drawing to my shoulder, not my ear
thanks
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:13:32 pm »
I've had luck splicing hickory backings at the handle with a scarf joint, overlay and hemp cord wrap set in epoxy but this was for a 60# bow.   I think if you can keep the handle area a bit stiff you should be able to splice the backing if overlayed and wrapped but that is only a guess on my part.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC