Author Topic: What should I do with this?  (Read 3687 times)

Offline gstoneberg

What should I do with this?
« on: October 18, 2011, 12:47:06 am »
I found a big spall in the bucket and I'm not quite sure what to do with it.  I've never worked a spall this big.

What should I try?

I put it back and took a smaller spall out and chipped out a 130gr point.  It had nasty concrete one side and I worked to remove it but didn't get it all.  I really wanted to get corner notches and they turned out pretty good for a change.  One stalled a little, but overall I'm happy...didn't break off a corner.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

Re: What should I do with this?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:53:56 am »
That point looks good, as long as you are happy with it is all that counts.  If you plan on puting it on an arrow, the only thing that counts is if it will do the job and it looks as if it would do a heck of a job to me.  Nice notching too, Im still trying to work on that.  As far as the spall...........maybe a spear head????  What kind of material is that?
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 01:03:27 am »
I agree ! Put it to use. Nothing wrong w/ a little cortex I've found points W/it on them! As for the big spall, thin it out & shape it up! It can be anything you want it to be.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:34:37 am by Tower »
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:08:33 am »
Just throw that big spall down on a concrete slab.  It will magically change into several bird point preforms.... ;D >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:55:56 pm »
Thanks, but I probably have enough bird point material already.  There's actually a decent chance I'll drop it and do just that anyway.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:24:25 pm »
I think i see an Andice in there George :). Might be better to try something long and narrow though, would be a lot easier to work.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 06:40:29 pm »
Work some on the two curved ends and the high center to flatten it out some.  If you get it flat, work on thinning and shaping.  I think it will make a great knife blade, if you loose too much length, just make a neck knife.  Bill

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:44 pm »
G your doing great
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:14:12 am »
Yikes, some of those Andice points are BIG.   The odds of me doing a pair of notches that deep are close to zero unless there's a miracle.  The spall is pretty thin, it'll be interesting to see how much width is left when I get it flat.  So far I've broken every knife blade in half I've tried...but one, and it wasn't very long.  Guess it might be time to try again, it's been awhile.  Be curious to see how wide the preform ends up when I get it relatively flat.  Not sure I'm good enough to drive flakes all the way across those ends.  Worth a try though.  Wish me luck, I'll need it...alot! :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:23:08 am »
Where's the gusto? Try & do it ! Remember if it breaks GOD is making more rock as we speak! The only way to get better is to fail at first ,or 2nd' or 3rd etc.etc.etc! Ya have to push your skill to improve! I could be wrong but that's how I feel!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:53:16 am »
Yep! Like Tower said, "go for it". If it breaks you'll just have more thin rock for smaller points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 01:03:51 am »
O I'll give it the old college try for sure.  Not sure my gusto is quite what it used to be though. ;)  I'm keeping my failure rate up pretty well these days.  Doesn't bother me much anymore.  Would like to make a nice point from this one though.  The wife is calling it a day.  Think I'll slip out to the shop and make a little rubble.  Haven't had a chance yet tonight.  Had to replace the starter in the jeep earlier.  Been a long time since I last did one of those.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 01:12:05 am »
If it is exceptional material put it aside & come back to it at a later date.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 02:20:39 am »
Too late for that now.  One of my first half dozen cracks at it was not stellar...

I settled down after that and cleaned it up a little bit.

That coretex on that one side is really tough.  I whacked and whacked at it.  Finally gave up for the night before I got frustrated and broke it in 2.

I was able to knock most of it off the tip, but as soon as the point widens out it steps rather than run across.  You can't see it very well, but I tried to come across from the other side and it stepped there too.Really haven't worked very hard on the good side.  The coretex is so thick I'm afraid to thin it a lot on the other side.  Maybe sleeping on it will help.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 06:03:59 am »
First ,nice point I would love to pull that off. Second that has knife writ all over it ...imo...but I don't know diddly about knapping but that is what come to mind  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...