Author Topic: Working Some Yeller Wood..FINISHED PICS!!!  (Read 18391 times)

blackhawk

Working Some Yeller Wood..FINISHED PICS!!!
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:11:03 pm »
Here's an osage stave I grabbed off the rack a few weeks ago. Over a half day Saturday and half a day Sunday over a weekend I did all this work to her .....she's 57 7/8" total length

Here's the stave while starting to chase a ring with the bark n stuff just striped off

Well looky here....its a 5/8" dia branch sticking out of her ..... that was fun chasing around. This was one ring above my chosen ring. I don't leave islands of grain over and on top of knots.

I like to quick hastily rip down to a ring above my chosen ring with the draw knife,then I lay out rough bow dimensions on it to cut it to shape before I chase my last final ring.

As you see she's twisted and doglegged pretty good.

Here she is after the the final ring was chased,belly reduced,then faceted it quickly down to floor tiller. For those of you who don't facet or don't know how you need to learn how to do it. It quickly gets you a floor tilered stave with even side to side limb thickness.

You can see how far off the string wood be off the handle form this point of view.

And here's the stave from the side looking down it. She's got some kinks n twists.

Now the stave has a few other issues that have been dealt with and a couple to deal with in the future. There was two knots where the grain was weak on one side and laminar seperations on the other side of them on the side of the limb . I have put a couple sinew bandages along the sides of the weak grain to bridge the gap. And in one there was a crack from the edge going straight into the limb that has been sinew wrapped as well.I haven't taken any pictures yet of these.

Before I put the bandages on,and over this same weekend I put each limb thru a heat correction over my half caul removing twist, and taking most of the kinks out,and moving the limbs over in alignment to the handle, and inducing reflex into the limb all in one heating session.  Talk about a wrestling match...lol.  :laugh:

I have the stave bending 9" on the long string so far off sorry I don't have any pics of the stave currently,but ill take some and upload some more pics soon. I haven't been doing to much bow work the last few weeks because of hunting season,and more importantly my wife is due any day with child #4 and we already had a hospital visit with a false labor. So bear with me and be patient with this one as more progress will be slow. Now,I will have a week off once she pops... O:).....soooo....ill have a lil time to work her then hopefully  >:D

Feel free to ask me any questions and ill explain more in detail,especially you newbies...lol.  ;)

Thanks for looking so far...Chris

Ps. This ones gonna be low poundage. Like 40 lbs

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:29:24 pm by blackhawk »

Offline johnston

Re: Working Some Yeller Wood
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:27:17 pm »
Facet?

"..once she pops" ? I am guessing your wife doesn't read this forum?

Lane

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:25:53 pm »
Looks like an interesting stave..... :o

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 05:28:44 pm »
Looks like an interesting stave..... :o

;D

Looking good! Keep up the work and congrats on #4.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:46:25 pm »
Thanks guys....ok Lane here's a lil how to facet along for ya.

I grabbed a rough stave to demonstrate on and to show how to facet limbs down into floor tiller.

Ok so let's grab a pencil and sharpen her up. At this point the back is established and the front profile is in bow shape and the thickness of the limbs is around 7/8" thick. Now take your pencil and hold it steady,and with your index or middle finger(whichever is more comfortable for you)and place it on the edge of the back of your stave and use it as a guide that follows any undulation,humps,and bumps on the back. With a normal length and weight osage bow I start about at a fat 3/8"  at the fade and gently squeeze as I travel along to the tips and end up about a hair under 3/8" arriving at the tips. Now with other woods this dimension will change pending on wood density,and type of design and length and desired weight. I don't even measure to start off anymore,I eyeball them since I've done it enough times I just know. Facet and scribe down lines on each side of both limbs. Here's a pic showing the technique.

This ensures that each side faithfully follows the back and maintains an equal side to side thickness,which prevents your limbs from twisting to due to an uneven side to side thickness.

So,next I draw and eyeball a line down the center of the belly. This line doesn't have to be dead nuts all the way down and isn't as critical as the lines scribed and facted down the sides.

So after all lines are drawn it'll look like this.

There you can see the line on the side and the line down the center of the belly

Next I put the stave in the vise and grab my spokeshave. The best tool IMO for this next step. You can also use a aggressive cutting rasp or a surfom rasp(hate those things). My spokeshave rips the stock off in no time.

Now what you wanna do is to cut down from the line in the middle to the line on the side and vice versa which will create a ridge down the center of the belly. Be careful to cut down to the outside of your line on the side if using a tool like the spokeshave. After both sides are cut it'll look like this down the belly.

Next I take the spokeshave and rip down that ridge down the center till I almost get it flat down to the sides. Here you can now and should be able to see the grain feather evenly down the belly(in most normal circumstances). Next I take my nicholson rasp and fine tune and clean it up down to where the line just dissappears. Sometimes the spokeshave wont get down into dips of knots and such,and a rasp will get you there to the line. And another word of caution is is leave it a lil thicker around knots to start off with.

Once rasped and flattened out down each limb the bow will be bending and be into a semi floor tillered state where you can easily commence into a nice floor tillered stave.

This is what it'll look like once rasped. Here you can see how nicely the belly line follows the back faithfully.

You can see my belly here is slightly crowned,but the edge is perfectly in line with the back.

This method is the best for using woods like osage and yew where the back roller coasters up and down along the length as well as from side to side. But I use this with all my staves even if dead straight and clean. Its fast and bombproof once done and mastered.

And that's about it..anyone else feel free to elaborate the pros and whys of faceting, then be my guest.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »
So here's the stave so far. And some more pics of its blemishes.

Here's the front profile view so far...the string should be on the handle now. The tips will be narrowed more after bracing.

Here's the side view profile. I got about an inch over carried away on my reflex...oops. its backset 4 1/2" 

So last night I spent a wee lil time on it with the long string...yeah...yeah, yell at me for such a long long string ... I know I need to choke it up with another hitch. But, that don't mess with my tiller too much...for me anyways.  Here im pulling 9" down..starting from the 11" mark down to the 20" mark. Ill get it to about 15" down till I brace it ... and yeah she needs some tweaking yet,but its called in the process of being tillered...lol .

Here's a close up of one sinew bandage where the crack is.

And here's one of the laminar seperations/checks on the side. This will get wrapped as well if she makes it down to full draw. Im shooting for a 24"-25" draw length. Its been filled with superglue for the time being.

I know im asking a lot from this piece,but that's what makes it fun.  >:D

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:53 am »
Wow I thought that you were joking  :o u r the man...im on the edge of my seat waiting for this one to fall from the sky!!! #4 wow I have no time with 2....congratulations and good luck ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 05:22:42 am »
Looking good.
 Thats what I do to establish the intial taper as well. The only difference is I mark a series of parallel lines at say 1/4 , 3/8 and 1/2 inch. The 1/4 line pretty much ends up not being touched so you always have a definate visual reference that just takes a glance.
All these pictures of osage....makes me get wood lust! ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:36:12 am »
Looking good on a challenging piece, should make a bow. :) Keep us up dated,good luck with the new addition to the family.4  :-\ :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:54:22 pm »
Thanks soy...thanks pappy

Mike I get lust looking at my wood too >:D :laugh:...thanks

So I spent a lil time in the man cave mid morn today. First I had to resharpen and raise a new edge on a couple scrapers,they were getting way dull,much better now. I also shortened up my long string to where I start at the 6" mark on the stick.

So I scraped on her for about an hour and now im down to the 21" mark where its pulling 50lbs. I was originally thinking forty but I've been taking her to fifty and she's been doing well there.

Here's from one side with the left limb being the bottom limb. There is still some mild prop twist in it and it makes it look like there's some flat areas. But its deception as ill show the other way next. And the tillering block does not lie either.

And here's from the other way. The area with the branch sticking out is just a hair stiffer,which is desired.

And she's about ready to brace. I need to figure out what style nocks I want on it first,and do that before I can low brace it.

ired.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »
That stave is a real teacher and it is obvious you are a good student. Can't wait to see the outcome!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 08:36:55 pm »
Thanks Pat...ill be a student for life ;)

SACRILEGE ...... >:D

I put red oak board tip overlays >:D ...some might boo n hiss at me for putting this on osage,but once dyed a nice honey amber you'll never know  8)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 09:30:33 pm »
Looking good so far blackhawk.. you must really like a challenge.

Jon

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 11:54:27 pm »
 Well I've been petering around with this one a lil....and what a drama queen this one is. Its been giving me fits tillering,but I didn't expect this one to be a breeze. Im at the point I don't care what weight it ends up being as its not for me anyways,and its gonna end up being a wallhanger.

So its braced at 3 1/2" right and in this photo im pulling 35lbs@20". Also need to mention this stave is asymmetrical with a shorter lower limb. Right now its a 1/4" positive tiller and the bottom limb is just a hair behind when drawn.....still workin on it. The stave retains 3 1/2" of reflex immediatley after unbracing,then goes back to 4" after rest.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 11:58:50 pm »
nice looking  bow so far, and look at all that wood :o.you make me truly envious my friend
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what