Author Topic: bamboo shafts  (Read 1402 times)

Offline GaryR

bamboo shafts
« on: October 22, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »
I found a cluster of bamboo this morning. I plan to cut some for arrows. I've never made my own and don't know what diameter to use. I'll assume between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. Can someone with experience tell me what to do?
Gary

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bamboo shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:29:09 pm »
Gary, take a 3/8" open end wrench along with you. That makes a perfect guage. Also be sure to cut only mature culms(canes). If they are bright green and still have the paper sheath protecting the node they are not mature enough.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 06:04:36 pm »
Pat, I assume then that I'm looking for a darker green/brown? Do I need to seal them?
Gary

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:16:20 pm »
If they are brown or tan don't bother with them. They are dead and rot has already set in. The ones you want will be a more yellow green or olive green color...at least that is how it works here.  If the paper sheath is partially or completely deteriorated off they are usually ready to cut.  You will know if you have cut immature culms because they will begin to shrivle lengthwise as they dry.  You don't need to seal them. Bundle them up in 15 or so per bundle of similar sizes and store them for a month or so in a dry place. I use rubber bands for the bundles but have used string coiled down the bundles.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC