Author Topic: how bad is this???  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Dazv

how bad is this???
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:28:31 am »
hi guys just a quick one.

So iam working on a ash shortbow 1 1/2 inchs wide and 46inchs long. I am taking it to floor tiller and i will let it sit in a form to dry as iam working the stave green. So my problem is that upon bending it for floor tiller it takes alot of set but this set can be removed in back pumping the bow and can have reflex put into it. So do you guys think that because of this when it is dry and i work it some more it will take a huge amount of set???

thanks alot guys

darren

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: how bad is this???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:30 am »
I feel pretty sure it is because it's green,put it in the form with some reflex and let it dry,it will probably be fine. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:24:14 am »
I think it's a combination of it being too narrow and short, being too green and most importantly being bent too far. Ash isn't great in compression even when completely dry.
You can bend it backwards/reflex it whilst it dries but it will all pull out when being tillered. I think it's a waste of time - clamping it to something straight can help to stop it warping sideways while drying though.
Once a bow has taken set then it's belly fibers have been crushed - put simply this means that the wood has lost some of it's 'springyiness' permanently. You can heat treat bows to remove some set but you've still lost some of the woods potential.
My advice is to only bend green staves the absolute minimum distance until you can see where it's stiff.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:10:23 pm »
You may have lost some of it's potential but I think you will be fine,if all you have done is floor tiller,let it dry then see where you are. I have done this several time with Hickory and ash before I knew anything about heat bending or had a form. In fact I did it that way most of the time, Had no seasoned wood back then. :)
I would clamp it to a table with blocks under it. :) It's been years ago but it work then I am sure it will still work. :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »
cheers guys

I have made bows with this method before working them green and letting them dry but i have never had this problem with ash before. Its in a form with allot of reflex I'm sure it will all pull out but i think this may help the reduce set below the centre line. this is a pretty good stave of ash as it is wide ringed to reduce the amount of soft rubbish early wood. I will give it a good heat treatment later on.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »
Put it in the form like you want it and let it dry.  Clamp it good.  I have removed more than 90 degrees of propeller twist and added reflex with a good fresh cut green stave clamped to a form before.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II