Author Topic: Osage Takedown...2nd bow  (Read 1702 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Osage Takedown...2nd bow
« on: October 27, 2011, 11:00:49 pm »
After a only a few days from finishing the tiller on my first bow I decided to start on my second. I needed a break from work and a day to just clear my head. Today started with laying out the bow on the billets and then only using my draw knife and rasps getting the limbs thinned out. Then I took a break and went with my gun nut friend to the shooting range to sight in the muzzleloader for this weekend openner here in New Hampshire. While at the range we worked on our tactical movement with the AR15s and handguns and finished the day up with some 300 yard shot with the 50 BMG... that was a blast sort of speak lol!

I came back to the house and thinned out the belly side of the limbs down to 3/4 of an inch and glued up the handle sections on the billets... here are some pictures of the progress....

Thought I start with a picture of me shooting the 50 cal

The two limbs together

Handle and fade area... not finished with the fades

Limbs side profile... one limb has a flare towards the belly side that needs to be taken out... my arms were dead by this time

Tips... one limb has a knot that had to come into play... need to figure this one out

Well that is a great start... will get back to it this weekend after days of hunting! Good luck to all that head to the woods this weekend! Justin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage Takedown...2nd bow
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:04:37 am »
Justin, can you eliminate that knot at the tip. From the back it looks like you can but that depends where it goes from there on its way to the belly.  ::)
  Nice start on your second bow. I have a take down sleeve but haven't got to it yet. Gave the last one I had away. I guess it is a mental block.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 05:16:55 am »
I agree with pat B looks like that knot can be removed  ;) looking good keep the pics coming!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 07:23:19 am »
looking great keep those pic coming!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 07:51:40 am »
Looking like you have a good start.I have made several of them and they are cool,I have some sleeves ,you have inspired  me to make another,I have gave all my others away. Keep us posted. One hint if you haven't done one before,be very very careful how you clamp and handle the sleeves until you get it all finished,if you bend or warp the sleeve ANY it is a fit to make it slide together and apart easy again and once you do  get them to slide easy they will almost always make a little noise. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good