Author Topic: ERC Takedown - (new tiller)  (Read 12574 times)

duffontap

Re: ERC Takedown
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 04:14:44 pm »
Beautiful bow.  Great idea with the skins.  I have one of those sleeves that I've been avoiding for a couple years now.  Maybe it's time to get after that.

J. D.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Re: ERC Takedown
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 06:39:24 pm »
After looking at the pics I posted and reading advice from y'all, I decided to retiller the bottom limb just a tad.  I got it bending a little nicer, and I think I'm done this time.  (At least for the moment.)  It still has decent draw weight (around 53# at 26"), so I'm happy.  It's got around 1 1/2" of set, which I can live with.  I didn't want to tempt the ERC gods by doing any heat treatment or bending.

Saw Filer - my experience with ERC jives with what I've read.  Namely, that sapwood is better in tension, but takes more set.  And the heartwood is good in compression, but brittle.

Here are a couple of new tiller pics: 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:42:11 pm by Stickhead »

Offline venisonburger

Re: ERC Takedown - (new tiller)
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 07:37:40 pm »
I like it alot, attractive, functional, all in one takedown package.
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 10:22:15 pm »
The tiller looks much nicer.  That is truly a beautiful bow. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 10:23:49 am »
I really like that bow...A LOT!!  I've seen and cut lots of cedar, it makes super good fence posts. All the old men around here that whittle, use cedar. It whittles good if it's clear heart wood. Just because i've seen and used so much of it (not for bows), I know it's very light and stiff. I bet it shoots pretty hard since it can't have much mass weight in the limbs.  I hope it holds up for you and you get to try it out this fall on some game.
How many bows have you seen that look good and smell good?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 12:05:25 pm »
You win  the  CBOM (Creative BOM) for this one.  Great takedown. Tips, skin design make this one of the most distinctive bows I've seen for awhile. Looking forward to see how this one stacks up for Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday