Author Topic: How to make a birthday bow unique?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Bitterguy

How to make a birthday bow unique?
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:35:34 am »
I'm making my old man a bow for his birthday. It's going to be 58" Parrallel red oak bow pull 25-30# at 23" I was thinking some sort of black, white and red tribal paint job (with spray paint), does that need clear coated or not? I was also thinking of putting in some form of pin nocks any other ideas as to how i can make this bow more unique for my dad?
As always, thanks in advance
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Squirrelslayer

Re: How to make a birthday bow unique?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:03:08 am »
whens his birthday? ya know mines coming up soon :P maybe put his name on the bow or something like this on the lower limb.

to Dad
from bitterguy
25#@23"

something like that maybe? hope this helps. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:47:24 am »
Use a couple of the silk neck ties you bought him for Fathers day gifts when you were a kid as a backing! ;) Just joking  (kind of ) Try to make it personal by incorporating something meaningful to him either from his heritage or life experiences or  special interrests. For Example, the bow I'm working on now is for a friend that started a Motorcycle club. Charity stuff for Greek comunity center  and Orthodox church (not drugs and stripclubs......................... I don't think).Any way ,he's very proud of his heritage and they have a really cool  club logo that incorporates elements from Greek heraldry. Double headed eagle ,blue and white striped shield . So the bow will have Eagle head nocks and a small painted section on the fades with the blue and white shield .Blue leather grip , with an old Greek coin for the arrow pass. 
  I made another one for my brother with a leftover from his Cherry cabinets, and some rawhide from a deerhide he gave me a couple of years ago.
  Another fella comes to mind that recently used a hide for the handle that his grandfather tanned.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:49 am »
Put your name it. That is all it takes to make something like this totally unique, especially to dad.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »
I'm making my old man a bow for his birthday. It's going to be 58" Parrallel red oak bow pull 25-30# at 23" I was thinking some sort of black, white and red tribal paint job (with spray paint), does that need clear coated or not? I was also thinking of putting in some form of pin nocks any other ideas as to how i can make this bow more unique for my dad?
As always, thanks in advance
I wish I could have done such a thing before my dad passed away.
I am sure he will really appreciate it.

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:29 pm »
Put a bow on the bow.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:15:26 pm »
I would advise using acrylic paint.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:09:07 pm »
it will be unique because YOU built it for him, sign it happy b-day dad, you should be gold
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:23:10 pm »
I put my earlier post up in a bit of a rush before racing off to work. While pulling away from my house I thought " All he needs to do is make it and sign it." Anything that you make for your Dad will be  cherished ,I'm sure. Do your best and he'll be proud! I see most of the other guys have beat me to this sentiment.   Be sure to post when it's done!