Author Topic: Questions re: Marc St. Louis R/D bow  (Read 2154 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

Questions re: Marc St. Louis R/D bow
« on: November 03, 2011, 05:08:00 pm »
I'm in the middle of following Marc's build-along article for "High Performance R/D Bow", Vol 18 Issue 2. Thought I wouldn't bug him as he likely gets a zillion emails a day. Would hickory be a good choice for the handle wedge and power lam? He likes HHB for those but I don't have any. This is an ipe/boo bow, not osage/hickory (though he says ipe can be used for the bow)

Offline sonny

Re: Questions re: Marc St. Louis R/D bow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:53:03 pm »
if that's what you have or have ready access to, use it!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:14:35 pm »
You could just use Ipe. It will be more stable with like materials.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:14:28 pm »
There's a lot of stress in that area.  The reason I like to use HHB is that it a tough wood and glues very well.  Rock Maple is another tough wood that glues very well along with Elm and I have used those 2 with success.  I wouldn't use any oily wood or a ring porous wood like Oak of White Ash, the reason is that I have used those before and they failed.  I find that Hickory doesn't glue quite as well as the wood species I mentioned above but I have used it before.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:16:34 pm »
Thanks all. Marc, I will likely pick up some elm or maple. I gather you cut HHB locally but could you point me to a source? I haven't found it at local lumber supplies.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:41:44 pm »
HHB has never been a lumber tree. It's always been used in small quantities for specialty items.