Author Topic: Hanging Scale Recommendation  (Read 5331 times)

Offline Jeremiah

Hanging Scale Recommendation
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:28:43 am »
Did a couple of searches looking for advice on hanging scales for your tillerin tree. Found some great setups here (Osage your setup puts mine to shame, as you pull does that S bolt self-lock into the holes on that 2x4? Very nice...):

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28942.0.html

Question is, any hanging scales that people like and found on the cheap? Found some posts recommending Pelouze and Hanson but both are $50+. Amazon has some options and I just don't know what to go with. Digital or not?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Hanging Scale Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:33:25 am »
Jeremiah, I attach a Hand Held Hansom Scale to the end of my pulley rope. Pull and the weight registers.That way I never take my eyes off my baby in the cradle. If yo go the hanging scale route don't forget you need to account for the weight of the scale in you reading. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:53 am »
I started with a cheap £10 100# fishing spring balance. I've now got a big dial one that's easier to read (still cheapo)
Digital doesn't necessarilly mean more accurate or better.
Anyhow, you don't need huge accuracy as pulling a bow back slowly on a winch and holding it while you fiddle about reading it can easilly loose a pound or two comared with a normal speed draw.
I just go with what ever suits my pockets (once I've unstitched them ;)  ::))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:37:09 am »
Digital is fine. Just make sure it doesn't drop on your concrete floor...digital scales are usually more fragile than spring scales.

We can't post links to sites offering products for sale, but I got my scale from a website called DealExtreme. Google it; it's a webshop in China and ships for free anywhere around the world. I got my scale for as little as $10,-
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:39 am »
Hey Jeremiah, I've got a nice Viking hanging scale that I don't use at all.  I'd be interested in doing some horse trading for it.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »
I got a fish scale from wally world for $5.  It's accurate to the pound, which is all that's necessary.  The dial measures 0-50#, but it will go accurately to 10# over again which makes for 60# (still accurate).  Haven't dared to go beyond that for some reason ::)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 01:28:44 pm »
I ordered a scale off ebay a couple weeks ago. It was digital, went up to 100# and it only cost me 7 bucks and some change. Gotta love an auction setting. Comparable models in the stores in my area were anywhere from $30 to $50. But the downside is I need to wait for it to ship, and since it was free shipping, its taking a while.

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »
I think I probably got the same thing that slack did. took 2 weeks to get here, but it works good. PM'd you what I got.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:01:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone- great ideas. Gonna order one tonight when I get home (firewall @ work doesn't let me access those sites, luckily they trust PA!) :) I'll post my setup when I finish, hopefully this weekend.

Jawge, thanks for the reminder on accounting for the scale weight. I'm a electrical engineer but I still should have been able to remember enough physics to not overlook that detail  :-[

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
Trackor supply co. has em if ya got one near you, I picked up one that goes up to 110# or so, maybe 150# or so, somewhere around there, for about 40 bucks.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »
Did a couple of searches looking for advice on hanging scales for your tillerin tree. Found some great setups here (Osage your setup puts mine to shame, as you pull does that S bolt self-lock into the holes on that 2x4? Very nice...):

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28942.0.html

Question is, any hanging scales that people like and found on the cheap? Found some posts recommending Pelouze and Hanson but both are $50+. Amazon has some options and I just don't know what to go with. Digital or not?

No the S-hook doesn't lock into the holes.  I have a small metal rod that I put in the hole to hold the bow string if I want to lock it in place.  I have a viking hanging scale.  Got it in a box of archery stuff from a guy on Craigslist for a few bucks.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:35:03 pm »
I use a fish scale i got at ace hardware. It goes up to 70 lbs. I also have a game scale that goes up to 3 or 4 hundred but i dot think i will ever need it for a bow.
Steve Bennett

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 07:51:40 pm »
scale is supposed to be here in a week! In the meantime, I got my tillering tree all setup and put to use. Thought I'd share the link for the pics incase anyone is interested.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28942.msg420829.html#msg420829

Offline gmc

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 01:19:18 am »
I've got one of those expensive 50+ dollar scales and it weighs 3.5 or 4 lbs and I hate it.

I use a $7.00 dollar luggage scale that I found at walmart. The fish scales are always too light, but if you search through the luggage area you will find one that goes up to 100 lbs., I think that's the max. Plenty enough for me and the price was right. My 50 dollar scale is taking up space in my tool box, its just not practical in my opinion.

It did cost me that much money to figure it out but hey, its your cash.  8)
Central Kentucky