Author Topic: Custer got Siouxed  (Read 6793 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Custer got Siouxed
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 11:42:53 pm »
great stuff JW , i know how you felt im building 40 civil war muskets and two cannons for a reenactment next week.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 12:53:27 am »
Great post, JW.  Interesting reading and viewing.  What a special thing to have, points from the Dances With Wolves film.  Let me think, how many times have I watched that movie now?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 09:07:09 pm »
If you ever get the chance, watch "Dances With Wolves" and every time a Native American man speaks, imagine he is as gay as a field of daisies!  I'm not talking watching chick flicks on the weekend kind of gay, but dressing up like Liza Minelli and singing show tunes in drag kind of gay.  Now I am not bashing someone's orientation, but I am making a point.

The dialog for the NA men was written by a white man, translated into Lakota by a Lakota woman....AND NO ONE CHECKED HER TRANSLATION!  Her translation is in woman's dialect.  The actors for the most part learned their lines phonetically.  All the men are speaking like women, which in Lakota is more than a little gay, it is flaming!!!

When the movie premiered in Rapid City, there were busloads of people that came up from Pine Ridge to see it, everyone had a brother, cousin, uncle, auntie or were themselves in the movie and they wanted to see it.  The gales of laughter when the men spoke was so bad that people got up and left the movie.  To this day the film is legendary on reservations as extreme form of comedy. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 11:34:31 am »
HaHa.  You're right they do have a "fem way" of talking  :laugh:.  I especially like tantoo cardinals line "Iyokipipipe", which is funny only because the word is run together.