Main Discussion Area > Bow of the Month Contest

MWirwicki Wins September/October Backed Bows!

(1/3) > >>

criveraville:
MWirwicki Wins October/November Backed Bows!

Congratulations to "MWirwicki" from
Perry, MI for winning September/October Backed BOM Contest!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27961.0.html

From MWirwicki: "I’ve wanted to make a horn and sinew composite bow for years and finally set my mind to do it.  Recently, I visited Mr. Norm Blaker at his home.  He showed me a bow made by Lukas Novotny without the siyas typical of the Asiatic composite bows.  Immediately, it struck me as the style that I wanted to attempt.  I thumbed through my book collection, and struck gold when I saw the front cover picture of an early print of Jim Hamm’s – Bows & Arrows of the Native Americans.  As I am a fan of short bows, I had to attempt the 36-inch, horn and sinew composite bow. I had water buffalo horns long enough for two 18-inch pieces.  I cut and sanded them into strips then glued them using hide glue to a 1/8 x 1 x 36-inch long osage core that I worked out of a quarter split stave.  It was a bit disheartening cutting that nice big stave into such a small, thin slat.  After letting it dry for a couple of weeks, I sinew backed the osage side with three layers of leg sinew.  The bow was coming along very nicely.  From the beginning of this project,   I swore to myself that I would take my time on this one.  It was my first horn/sinew bow and it was going to be special.  I waited about a month between sinew layers fighting the constant urges to rush into them sooner."  Matt

Muy bonito arco X 2!!! Here are some comments from forum members!
"osage outlaw- Wow!  That is a lot of bend out of that thing.  Very nice work.
blacktail- holy cow matt,that is one of the greatest bows i have seen this year... Thanks so much for sharing...john
HighEagle- Man I have to agree with Blackhawks first sentence, Its got to be one of the nicest  bows I've ever seen. Good on ya,  cant wait to see your next one. Crg
mullet- I think you got all the bend out of that one. That is one, pretty, bow.
medicinewheel- KILLER...!!!
Prarie Bowyer- I keep coming back to this thread.  I'm mezmorized!
Dazv- awesome bow that is just amazing
ken75- i think its all been said , however it is a great bow and refreshingly different from what we see daily. great job Matt a lot of work went into this one , i love to see a bow work and this one is on OVERTIME.
dbb- Amazing crazy bend in that bow!
short bows generally isnt my thing...but i have to make an exception for this beauty. Nice skins too,well done! /Mikael"

Pappy:
Very cool Matt,congrats on a fine bow. :)
    Pappy

soy:
Congratulations  ;)

Cameroo:

medicinewheel:
Well deserved win for that crazy bend alone!
Congrats on a unique bow!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version