Author Topic: living off the grid  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Re: living off the grid
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 09:15:19 am »
I always wanted to go off grid,,my kids  are grown except 1,{14}  The wife said go ahead,shes keepin the house!!   {decisions decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,}     :o
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 04:26:52 pm »
Be carefull there she may put you off the grid permanently !
with the frying pan !
Or one of your own arrows !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 09:52:13 am »
Be carefull there she may put you off the grid permanently !
with the frying pan !
Or one of your own arrows !
who me??   O:) O:)        ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 02:45:58 am »
thanks everyone for the input, and don't worry, this isn't something i know i am going to do, its just of of many options i am considering for after college, but if you were to do this where would you try and why, or where wouldn't you, also ifi were to do this it would be on property i would buy and i  would  probably build a log cabin type thing for a shelter
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 03:30:34 am »
I once upon a time asked the same questions ....but like has been mentioned before it takes a lot o money to do what you seek.my destination was Alaska ...one day maby I could visit and dream again. Good luck ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 03:37:38 am »
thanks, and if i end up doing it and its in Alaska, then your welcome to come whenever you want, actually if i do this and anyone want to disappear into the woods for a while they will be welcome whenever they want  ;D, and with the money part, that's why i'm planning on having a company running while in college, then once i'm out work like crazy for a couple years
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Kpete

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 06:16:01 pm »
Fishfinder,
I have an friend who did the woodsy thing.  He started while in college.  He changed locations a few times, Wyoming, Idaho, Wyoming, Idaho.  He did it while in college, complete with building his own cabin. Admits he did not do a very good job of any of it, especially college.  Lots of things tugging back and forth.  More than one marriage.   Now he lives in a conventional house, burns wood when he wants, showers regularly, has a job, hunts not to feed himself, although it does  supply his meat.  He gardens, keeps horses.
He admitted that having to hunt to feed himself conflicted with lots of other things and made it work. 
I like the advice of shutting off the power and water, not eating from the store for a while before you stap on your loincloth for good.
I also think some now about contributing to others and less about living as suits me best.
It is a fun thought however.   I like to hunt from camp and not have to drive.  I like sleeping in a tent, cooking with real fire, etc.  A week and a half in elk camp takes the shine off the dream a bit, and I am ready for a regular shower and conversing with all of you!
I pray that college goes well for you.
Kirk

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »
I think this is a wonderful sentiment and I'm glad you've even considered it.  Most people wouldn't even let it cross their minds.  I've done short trips living off the grid and it's hard, there is a reason that 100 is the new 40.  Doesn't mean that it wouldn't be worth it for your mind and soul though.  You should read Walden by Henry David Thoreau, or maybe that's why you are pondering this in the first place?  At least you have the advantage of knowing how to make a good bow and arrow in case something drastic happens.  Good luck to you

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 07:03:35 pm »
Some of the things you can do to "practice" living off the grid is experimenting with the green alternatives.  Using less electricity by doing without lights except when absolutely necessary.  Turning your heat on only when house temps are going to drop below 60 degrees (I keep my place at 62F, surprising how much better I sleep), eliminating A/C altogether.  Learning to bathe with only a dishpan's worth of hot water.  Converting all frozen foods to canned*, dehydrated, or cured so they can be stored at room temp. 

Not only do you get a taste of what you will need to do when unconnecting from Mother Technology's electric umbilical cord, but you can save a lotta long green cash, too!

*canned venison...yum!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »
FishFinder,
JW is right.  Even if you don't live off the grid, you can do a lot of things that require expanding your skills, bring you enjoyment and satisfaction, and get you more involved with daily needs then if you buy everything.
It is kind of what attracts us to this website.  I don't have to build bows, arrows, tabs, tie flies, build muzzleoaders, and I sure don't depend on it to say alive, but it is enjoyable, and useful to some degree.  I find that it also  helps with solving other problems since your brain is used to figuring things out.  Kind of like cross-training for your brain.
I am always facinated with how some others solve daily need problems.
Kirk

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 06:06:31 pm »
Kind of like cross-training for your brain.

Hey Kirk!  I'm going to shamelessly steal that.  Excellent analogy, sir. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 05:04:22 pm »
JW,
Nothing new under the sun...but sometimes we haven't applied the principles to all possible solutions.
As far as being "shameless"-do you want me to comment on that?
Always good to hear from you. 
Fish-I had a professor tell me that I had a "questing mind".  I think she meant it as a compliment, but it was in response to some "cross-thinking" I was doing.   I think you too have a "questing mind".  From your posts it is apparent you are always searching to do someting new, something better, something that few others do.   I think that will serve you well when you find what you love to do.  One problem however, it often increases the size and variety of your "stash" (reference to the thread in "bows".)    Keep asking, keep seeking, keep thinking.