Author Topic: silk or linen  (Read 1574 times)

Offline mspink

silk or linen
« on: November 25, 2011, 04:05:43 pm »
Hey guys, Was wondering whick backing would be tougher? Also which one would be more compatible with red oak. Making a bow for a friend and am going to back it with one or the other. Thanks
Aim small miss small!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: silk or linen
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 04:09:18 pm »
Both are compatable with red oak and either will be plenty strong enough so which ever you have available would be the best.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mspink

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:16:27 pm »
is there different weaves or do fabric stores sell it the same way basically? What should I look for if i go with linen?
Aim small miss small!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 04:41:50 pm »
Silk will stretch more then linen. But as Pat said both will work fine

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:44:02 pm »
we backed my first bow(red oak flatbow) with linen because that took a splinter and the linen held it down just fine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 04:47:19 pm »
Go to GoodWill or other thrift store and buy a linen blouse , skirt or pants. Generally pretty cheap and you might get a nice camo design on it too.  ;)  If you buy it by the yard get just plain linen or silk cloth. One yard will back lots of bows. Silk neck ties make good backings too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »
Dupioni silk is much less stretchy, thicker and often better looking than old clothing items.
 Silk is not nearly as expensive as you may think. In fact high grade linen as you might find in an art shop is more expensive.
 I actually like the idea of a linen underbacking with silk on top of that

Offline mspink

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:11 am »
how long can you expect linen to hold small splinters down? Will it last for years?
Aim small miss small!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 12:30:23 am »
Once any cloth or paper backing is saturated with glue and the glue cures you would be surprised how strong it is. It should last the life of the bow or longer.  ;)