Author Topic: Thanksgiving Bow (finished)!  (Read 19614 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Thanksgiving Bow
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 11:08:39 pm »
That's looking real good, George. I really pay attention when someone is bending a short bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:49 pm »
Looking good Jorge!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 10:29:13 pm »
Thanks, this has been a fun bow to work.  I shot it a few times this afternoon.  First time I've shot off my knuckle in a long time.  Only had one arrow with wrapped feathers with a field point.  I was guessing at a nocking point and shooting split finger instead of 3 under.  It is quick, faster than my last shorty.  I thought I'd shoot lower without all 3 fingers under the arrow but I had trouble shooting too high all the way back to 20 yards, as far as I can shoot in my yard.  This bow has a much more pleasant draw than I expected.  Flipping the tips must've really helped.  Really looking forward to finishing it up and hunting with it now.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 08:44:27 am »
That baby is looking good to me,tiller looks good, I think if you squared up for the picture it would look even better. :) That should spit an arrow. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 11:34:45 am »
Looks good, George. The spit should not worry you as t is not going off the edge. She seems a bit tippy in your sling. I don't know why. That usually happens when one limb is stronger than the other. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 11:43:41 am »
Nice work George. Aren't these little sinew backed osage bows fun? I'm sure enjoying mine!  Well done!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 12:54:45 pm »
Mr. G, very nicely done, sir!!!! ya know what that 47" osage ya sent to me did that poor yankee buck,eh? Mine aint backed but ya gonna be pleasantly surprised at how much killin power them little "d" bows got in them.....
rich

Offline coaster500

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »
That's a sweet little freezer filler George!!

11oz !!  It's a pocket rocket :)

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 01:32:36 pm »
Great looking bend on that shorty George. ...11oz? osage amazes me with how much weight it can produce with so little wood.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 01:45:10 pm »
Very nicely done as always!!!!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 11:26:55 pm »
Wow guys, thanks a lot for all the comments. These short bows are fast becoming my favorites. I do think that limb on the left is stiffer. I'm going to put it on the bottom and shoot it to see if it'll work that way. I'll have Mary take a picture of it at full draw so we can see how it looks.

Won't be for a day or so as I'm at the lease shopping for venison with the .243. Would have rather brought the bow but season's almost over and I have to make every sighting count now. Sadly, nothing showed up this afternoon. There is a late doe season so if I could get a couple then I'd take the new bow out in Jan.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2011, 01:21:16 am »
I'm experimenting with a new waterproof backing with this bow.  Haven't decided whether I like it yet or not.  Hopefully the backing will be dry enough to finish out and shoot before I have to go back to work.

George

St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 11:27:22 am »
lovely bow George. She looks fast!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »
The bow is essentially done now.  I laid out the handle wrap and decided on a rest but haven't glued them on yet.  I tried a Druid, bow on the post shot, but I let an outlet get in the picture.  O well.

My wife freed up to take a full draw picture.  I apologise in advance for the sweats.  I do need to learn to stand up straight when I take these pictures.  I always lean into the shot so it's a hard habit to break.

I hope to get the first coat of finish on the bow later today.  I still have some sanding to do on the tip overlays,  Final specs are:

50" n2n
tips = 7/16"
limbs = 7/8", 1" at the knot
handle  = 3/4"
57lbs@27" (my draw length), 60lbs@28"
1.5" of set static, 1.75" after shooting.

I shoot it 2 fingers under, dropping the bottom finger at about half draw.  It seems to like 45-50 spined shafts best.  It draws much nicer than my last shorty and seems a bit faster.  I expect it to take a little more set as it breaks in.  Anxious to finish it up.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gmc

Re: Thanksgiving Bow (full draw added)
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 09:37:21 pm »
Looks real nice George.

Very nice tiller on that bow as well.

Hands down my favorite type design for sure.

Well done.

Central Kentucky